2009 Tahoe: Front Wipers not spraying fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I just completed a trip out to Montana and back, which went flawlessly!

However just today went to clean the front windshield via wipers fluid...and the wiper turn on, but no fluid!

- I checked all related fuses
-rear wiper and fluid working fine
-don't hear any noise like the fluid motor working
- no clogs evident

I think I read someplace that both 'fluid motors' are inside the tank for front and rear wipers, is that true?

What next steps should I take to get the fluid working again?....is the motor fried? relay?

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is inside the bottom of the tank, if you could get to the electrical connector, you could have a friend hit the button while its unplugged and see if you are getting 12v. If you are, id say bad pump. If you are not, you'd have to trace that gremlin down.
Side note, it has 1 pump for the front sprayers and 1 pump for the rear. My money is on the pump.

OP
OP
metelhead

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is inside the bottom of the tank, if you could get to the electrical connector, you could have a friend hit the button while its unplugged and see if you are getting 12v. If you are, id say bad pump. If you are not, you'd have to trace that gremlin down.
Side note, it has 1 pump for the front sprayers and 1 pump for the rear. My money is on the pump.

thanks for the response....you make it sound ominous to get to the electrical connection with 'IF'...lol I hope thats not the case...but my previous experience has taught me the pretty much everything on the rig is a challenge to work on or get at;)
But I think your right, in that the pump is out...

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually the next thing in line is the fuse box, so you could test for 12v on the circuit that protects the front washer pump and see if you have power there as well. Next best thing if you cant get to the connector. Would give you a little more confidence before you buy a pump and start tearing into it to get to where the pump is lol.

OP
OP
metelhead

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok....its not the motor...its not the fuses...what is it? I'm at a loss...

As a side note I'd just like to thank the GM engineers for their ability to over-engineer the placement of the motors and fittings so that it is nearly required to remove the front end to get at anything:)

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the small rubber tubes are both connected? I had my drivers side one come lose at one point.

OP
OP
metelhead

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I might have solved it this AM...since there are two pumps (ft and rr) with the rear one working, thought I could just switch the cabling and have a working washer for the front.....but NOPE different fittings! Dam!

Keep those suggestions rolling in;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak