2009 hatch upper limit switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJLTZ09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My rear hatch will open almost to the upper limit and then it powers back down and latches as though I wanted it to close. There is nothing in the way of it opening completely. There has never been any damage to this area.
This happens if I squeeze the switch on the lower part of the hatch, push the button on the key fob or push the switch above the windshield.
Is the motor for the hatch under the interior trim on the LH side? Does it have some kind of limit switch that could have slipped out of position?

jericho121

Reaction score
My rear hatch will open almost to the upper limit and then it powers back down and latches as though I wanted it to close. There is nothing in the way of it opening completely. There has never been any damage to this area.
This happens if I squeeze the switch on the lower part of the hatch, push the button on the key fob or push the switch above the windshield.
Is the motor for the hatch under the interior trim on the LH side? Does it have some kind of limit switch that could have slipped out of position?
There are 2 limit switches on the tailgait power opener/closer mechanism which is comtrolled by the contol module which is also atatched to it. Your control module might be acting up. If you know someone who has a scanner you can try and calibrate the limits.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that your 2 lifting struts on the hatch may be shot. When there is too much weight on the lifting motor, it reverses back to the closed position.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 2 limit switches on the tailgait power opener/closer mechanism which is comtrolled by the contol module which is also atatched to it. Your control module might be acting up. If you know someone who has a scanner you can try and calibrate the limits.
the 2009 doesn't have any limit settings, as Joseph noted it most likely needs new gas-support cylinders. If the gas cylinders cannot hold the hatch up it assumes you pressed down on it and therefore closes on it's own.

OP
OP
R

RJLTZ09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. See below

OP
OP
R

RJLTZ09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe that your 2 lifting struts on the hatch may be shot. When there is too much weight on the lifting motor, it reverses back to the closed position.
Thanks. That is right. I replaced the struts and the hatch now works properly. Saved a service charge at the dealership and used points from an earlier Chevy car purchase to fund the strut purchase!
Thanks again.
Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar