2009 Chevy Tahoe SSV Camper Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe_SSV

Reaction score
Hey all. I've got a 09 Chevy Tahoe SSV. I just bought a 28 foot, 2008 Keystone springdale camper that I would like to tow with my Tahoe. I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not this would be ok? I have row mirrors and I am installing a time based trailer brake controller. I will not be towing alot just maybe short distant couple times a year.
The original window sticker says Heavy Duty towing. I will post a picture. Any help with what I should do ?

Attachments

• 20230615_133743.jpg
    20230615_133743.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 10

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will come down to weight - I do not have a lot of experience towing heavy or long but would suggest a weight distrib hitch setup along with your planned trailer brake controller. Additionally, get your truck ready by servicing all the pitfalls our trucks are known to have such as leaking cooler lines, serviced fluids, maintenance item checks!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I've got a 09 Chevy Tahoe SSV. I just bought a 28 foot, 2008 Keystone springdale camper that I would like to tow with my Tahoe. I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not this would be ok? I have row mirrors and I am installing a time based trailer brake controller. I will not be towing alot just maybe short distant couple times a year.
The original window sticker says Heavy Duty towing. I will post a picture. Any help with what I should do ?
Does your SSV already have the physical hitch? A PPV would not.

What about the tow/haul switch on the shift lever? If not it’s easy to change the lever to get one with the switch. The wiring harness should already be in place.

MaksYT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does your SSV already have the physical hitch? A PPV would not.

What about the tow/haul switch on the shift lever? If not it’s easy to change the lever to get one with the switch. The wiring harness should already be in place.

Good to know. just picked up a 2014 PPV and the point is we would want to tow a small camper.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. just picked up a 2014 PPV and the point is we would want to tow a small camper.
I did the same with thecopcar. I pulled a 1,500# teardrop all over with it for a long time. I did change the shift lever, and also the rear impact bar to get a factory hitch.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Read your owner's manual, you can download from GM. She's rated for 8,200 pounds to tow, payload is probably around 1,700 pounds, check your door sticker. Gross combined weight is 14,000 pounds.

28 foot shoe box is a bit long for a short wheelbase tahoe but with the right weight distribution hitch with sway control, such will make tows more pleasant.

MaksYT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the same with thecopcar. I pulled a 1,500# teardrop all over with it for a long time. I did change the shift lever, and also the rear impact bar to get a factory hitch.
What about the wiring for the 4 pin or 7 pin connectors? Were they there already or have to add those as well?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the wiring for the 4 pin or 7 pin connectors? Were they there already or have to add those as well?
Just get the OEM or direct replacement 7 pin jack. The harness is right behind the bumper with a cap on it. Plugs right in. To get the constant hot and the trailer brake controller connected you have to connect to the two bare studs at the front edge of the under hood fuse panel.

Why the constant hot isn’t already connected is strange to me. It’s coiled up and taped to the side of something a few inches below the master cylinder.

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have towed a couple things with my SSV, Read the posts on trailer brake wiring all the wiring is there just need to buy a brake controller and pigtail.

Link on wires under the hood and harness.

Attachments

• 351060871_1221347118581116_6124214784527460588_n.jpg
    351060871_1221347118581116_6124214784527460588_n.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 2

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the constant hot isn’t already connected is strange to me. It’s coiled up and taped to the side of something a few inches below the master cylinder.
My thinking was they were trying to prevent electrical shorts if the wiring wasn't maintained. Someone who tows and uses hotel power is going to maintain the wiring better than a single mom's baby daddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar