2008 Hybrid/No more valve clapping

Discussion in 'Hybrid General Discussion' started by BG1988, Jan 7, 2020.

1. BG1988

BG1988 Full Access Member

Name:
    Brent
    it's Gone seems like one of the oil tubes got clogged starving it..

changed the oil with some Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil looks like the solvents cleaned up the tube(s

it's quiet now also it stopped burning oil as well None lost 1100 miles on the current oil change
    )

On at cold start it was hitting 72-75PSI before it was slight below that 64-68psi.

i'll keep you guys posted if anything changes

2. BG1988

Name:
    Brent
    just a quick update it's back worse then before, I heard a backfire and clunk noise it definitely came from the engine as it was in park then it started clapping again

the engine was quite audio able from the inside.

3. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Do you have the ability to yank the motor and clean it out and put new rings and bearings in it Brent?

4. BG1988

Name:
    Brent
    no the place where i live does not allow you to work on it.. you can only check the fluids or change a light bulb.. that is pretty much what you can get away with..(they just don't want oil on the ground that is why and for safety reasons )

I'll check later
    i'll let it prime next time by giving it 2 seconds( could have a pressure leak in the fuel pump by pass? overnight?) this happened on my impala (as well as everyone elses) I had to wait a few seconds for it to prime that had a return line this does not have that (internal bypass)

the back fire could have been I started it too fast ( did not let the fuel prime?) the start can crank for upto 30 seconds the RPM shot to 1.5k rpm then settled warm starts it's about 1k rpm few dozen auto stops were fine.1-1.2k...

i put 1200 miles on the oil change have not noticed any loss yet

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    swathdiver likes this.
  5. BG1988

Name:
    Brent
    the pre-priming seemed to help but I got a 420 code today I don't think the Cat is stoned on cat nip,(heated up just fine to 500c) but the positive electrical cable is giving me problems.. the engine was acting like there was a "vacuum" leak i adjusted the cable again that is when i got the stoner cat code a few miles later

my short term fuel trims were +34 on both banks and long term fuel trims were +34 on both banks i noticed there was a lot of grease on the cables this could impede electrical flow as oil is an electrical insulator..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020