2007 chevy tahoe swap to lq4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kafug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i just pulled a lq4 from a 2005 yukon denali and plan to put it into my 07 tahoe z71. My main question is i think the 05 6.0 has a 24 tooth relector ring and i believe the 07 5.3 has a 58 tooth. Im planing on being rid of the afm which is why i went will the lq4. Will i need to swap the ring from the 5.3 to pit into the 6.0? I will be getting a tune from justin once I find my tunner lol.
Other than that any suggestions on a top end kit with a decent cam. Not wanting to big where i need to start looking into converters and such.
Thanks eveyone

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping the reluctor ring is not something you can do at home but, I believe Ligenfelter makes a box to convert the signals so you don't have to have the ring swapped by an engine shop. You will also have to do something about the knock sensors being in the valley instead of the side of the block like they are on your current 5.3.

A good cam that wouldn't need a converter is a 212/218 and depending on how much money you want to put into valve train you can run the high or low lift version of that cam.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In order to use a Gen-IV 5.3L, there are a number of other items you'll have to install. You'll need a lingenfelter 58x to 24x adapter, knock sensor extension harnesses, a torque rush or speartech throttle body adapter and possible injector adapters as well. Once all of that is factored in, we can tune your 5.3L PCM for that engine.

OP
OP
K

kafug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok sounds good. I just finished checking out the crank and found a nice grove on one of the connecting rod journals soo lol. I will probably just get a new crank with a 58x on it already then thats one issue out of the way.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i just pulled a lq4 from a 2005 yukon denali and plan to put it into my 07 tahoe z71. My main question is i think the 05 6.0 has a 24 tooth relector ring and i believe the 07 5.3 has a 58 tooth. Im planing on being rid of the afm which is why i went will the lq4. Will i need to swap the ring from the 5.3 to pit into the 6.0? I will be getting a tune from justin once I find my tunner lol.
Other than that any suggestions on a top end kit with a decent cam. Not wanting to big where i need to start looking into converters and such.
Thanks eveyone

Lingenfelter has a converter module that converts the 58x signal of a GenIV engine to the 24x signal of a GenIII, not the other way around. You're planning a GenIII into a GenIV platform. You'll have to swap get the 58x reluctor. You'll also have to extend and rewire for the relocated the cam sensor and knock sensors. You could run your current GenIV intake manifold on the GenIII block so all the injectors, throttle body, etc. will be plug-and-play. Just check the specs of your injectors to make sure they're adequate for the larger engine. If your '07 is a FlexFuel, the injectors will be large enough if you don't run Ethanol.

OP
OP
K

kafug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lingenfelter has a converter module that converts the 58x signal of a GenIV engine to the 24x signal of a GenIII, not the other way around. You're planning a GenIII into a GenIV platform. You'll have to swap get the 58x reluctor. You'll also have to extend and rewire for the relocated the cam sensor and knock sensors. You could run your current GenIV intake manifold on the GenIII block so all the injectors, throttle body, etc. will be plug-and-play. Just check the specs of your injectors to make sure they're adequate for the larger engine. If your '07 is a FlexFuel, the injectors will be large enough if you don't run Ethanol.
Awsome thanks for the info. Just looking into which rebuild kit to get for it. Not sure if i should order for the 05 block or do one for a 07+. Anyone point me to someone who would be close to a one shop stop. So i dont have to order single pieces

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awsome thanks for the info. Just looking into which rebuild kit to get for it. Not sure if i should order for the 05 block or do one for a 07+. Anyone point me to someone who would be close to a one shop stop. So i dont have to order single pieces

The LQ4 is a GenIII 6.0. Your current engine is a GenIV 5.3. Get a rebuild kit for whichever engine are you rebuilding. The only generation-specific things you'll do to the long block is install a 58X reluctor on the crank and drill and tap for the GenIV knock sensors. You'll use a GM cam sprocket, part #12586481 that has the 4x triggering for the GenIV but the 3-bolt pattern of the GenIII cam (and most aftermarket cams). You'll install your 5.3's front cover onto the LQ4 to have the cam sensor. You can leave the GenIII cam sensor in place or, if you're concerned with it being a leak point (cuz it likely will eventually), get the ICT block-off: https://www.amazon.com/Camshaft-Position-Sensor-Delete-551349/dp/B07175S1S4. Everything else (accessories, intake manifold, etc.) from the 5.3 will bolt on to the LQ4.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mistake on that last post, this is from Justin the tuner

"The Lingenfelter is a tool to put a 58 to engine into a 24 tooth chassis

He will have to pull the crankshaft and change to a 58 tooth gear"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989