2006 or 2007 model...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ForumTroll

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im in doubt. After reading many topics on this forum, watching pictures of many nice 2000-2006 models, I had my mind set on buying a 2004-2006 LT model. Now however I am leaning towards a 2007-08. Mainly because it is newer and thus better? I like the more curvy 00-06 model instead of the box like 07-14 model. I dont know..what are the pro's and con's?

Thank you!!!

quest51210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
real men like curves! never thought i would ever actually say that hahaha

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally stay away from the first model year of a new generation. I figure the manufacturer is still working out the bugs and using the first year buyers as his beta testers. ;)

When I was shopping for my 'Burb I noticed that the 07 models were noticeably less expensive than '08 and up. My guess is that it's because of the first-year bugs of the GMT-900 trucks.

OTOH, 2006 should have all the bells and whistles of the GMT-800 series since it was the last year of that body style. If it were me I'd definitely prefer an '06 over an '07.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an 07 Yukon from around 65k to 85k IIRC on the mileage and had no issues, traded in an 06 Sierra from around 35K to 65K for it and had to replace the serp belt and tensioner pulley once a year that no one could figure out. Honestly wouldn't be scared to own either model again.

I wouldn't stay away from a new model year because of old wives tales especially when you would have full histories on any model when you're looking at used trucks. Sure the newer trucks can have some issues sorted out but have seen them have a whole different issues, also seen either be problem free.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally stay away from the first model year of a new generation. I figure the manufacturer is still working out the bugs and using the first year buyers as his beta testers. ;)

When I was shopping for my 'Burb I noticed that the 07 models were noticeably less expensive than '08 and up. My guess is that it's because of the first-year bugs of the GMT-900 trucks.

OTOH, 2006 should have all the bells and whistles of the GMT-800 series since it was the last year of that body style. If it were me I'd definitely prefer an '06 over an '07.
I've owned my '07 for 6 1/2 years with very few problems and it now has 180k miles on it and running very strong. :shrug: As long as it's well maintained an '07 or '08 would be a good purchase just like an 04-06 would be. Just comes down to personal preference.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another advantage, IMO, of a later year of an earlier generation is that they tend to be loaded up: Things that started off as options become standard. When I was shopping I wanted an 04+ because of the hydroboost brakes but there were a lot of other mid-generation options added in 04.

My biggest worry with an '07 was the AFM since that was the first year they had it. I was reading somewhere (maybe it was here? Not sure) that on the 08+ models you could disable the AFM but on the 07's you couldn't. Don't know if that's true or not but it was the one thing that steered me away from 07 models.

If I was shopping for a GMT-900 I'd look at an '09+ just because 09 is when they went to the 6 speed auto vs the 4.

Of course, my biggest fear in getting a GMT-800 was the transmission going out - and that actually happened, back in August. But now my transmission is rebuilt and it runs great.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest worry with an '07 was the AFM since that was the first year they had it. I was reading somewhere (maybe it was here? Not sure) that on the 08+ models you could disable the AFM but on the 07's you couldn't. Don't know if that's true or not but it was the one thing that steered me away from 07 models.
for what it's worth....this snippet is not true. AFM is disabled on my '07 :waytogo:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking a year and a half ago, I could have ended up in a 2007 Denali xl which would have been awesome in theory. But the mileage was so high that I chose not too. And the 2008 models I found were just way to expensive. But the 2006 models were exactly in my price range. I went with the 2006 not only for price but also because I decided could live without some of the features only found in the 2007 model. I got everything I wanted in my 2006. It all boils down to what features you want and what you can live without for how much you're spending. As far as reliability my 2006 has not been without issues, only major issue was my transmission and once it was rebuilt its been a tank. I've seen many guys on here with 2007s and 2008s with no issues either. That all comes down to how well the previous owner kept it maintained and then how well you will maintain it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ForumTroll

ForumTroll

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback and opinions, much appreciated. I have made up my mind, its going to be a 04-06 LT model :)

Now I only need to find a well maintained one! Or if someone is willing to sell? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz