2006 GMC Yukon rear brake caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 14" Brembo GT kit I think. It's a set of 4 piston calipers with 2 piece rotors and SS brake lines. I still have the stock rear disc and calipers but I would like to upgrade them as well. I would like to upgrade just the rear calipers and I found that the Cobalt SS front rotors are almost identical in diameter and thickness to the rear disc. If anyone is a little more familiar with the calipers I'm talking about, would it be possible to get a bracket made in order to bolt these calipers on the rear? For people that have done the late model 4 piston front brake upgrade this might also interest others wanting to upgrade their brakes as well.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking brake is a drum inside the rear disc. I would leave the rear disc alone and only swap the caliper.

1badjimmy

Reaction score
@skyhighsami

Are you referring to the Brembo caliper off of say a 2009 Cobalt SS?

If so then it’s a fixed caliper and a bracket could be made. The only problem I can see would be the backing plate will need to be clearanced. 1) for the caliper and 2) because if the caliper doesn’t magically bolt up to the axle like your factory 2 piston caliper your bracket will rotate the caliper to clear the bolts. If you look at most big brake kits they have a flat plate with 4 bolt holes.

I was thinking of using the 1st gen CTS-V front calipers on Baer’s 14” rear setup.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@skyhighsami

Are you referring to the Brembo caliper off of say a 2009 Cobalt SS?

If so then it’s a fixed caliper and a bracket could be made. The only problem I can see would be the backing plate will need to be clearanced. 1) for the caliper and 2) because if the caliper doesn’t magically bolt up to the axle like your factory 2 piston caliper your bracket will rotate the caliper to clear the bolts. If you look at most big brake kits they have a flat plate with 4 bolt holes.

I was thinking of using the 1st gen CTS-V front calipers on Baer’s 14” rear setup.
I was thinking of using the Cobalt caliper because the front caliper is almost identical in size to the stock rotor on my Yukon. It would be much more economical to just get a bracket, and caliper. If you look at the Cobalt disc and the Yukon they are nearly perfect and the piston sizes of the Brembo calipers on the Cobalt wouldn't over power the front.

1badjimmy

Reaction score
I dove into the deep end and purchased the 2021 PPV 16” front brake setup. I wanted the Baer 14” rear setup with the CTS-V caliper to aesthetically match.

I cannot tell from the pictures of the Cobalt SS calipers if the bolt goes through them into the knuckle or not. Like how your rear brakes are.

RockAuto has some Nugeon branded remans for -$100. You will have to clearance the plate the caliper bolts to if you have to rotate the caliper around.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what it will take to get the calipers to work but I am trying to find someone that can make the bracket. There was a guy that had a BBK he built on performancetrucks.net. He used Baer Eradispeed 15" front rotors and 14" rear. He then used the Camaro SS calipers which he said was the same as the calipers from a Dodge Viper. The rear he used the stock Brembo rear calipers using a bracket he made. He ended up buying a Stoptech kit and sold the entire kit 15" and 14" rotors, Brembo calipers, SS brake lines and new pads for $2000 shipped. Believe it or not it took him a while to get it sold. I paid more than that for my front kit obviously and the only difference I saw really was my kit has 2 piece front rotors. I emailed him to see if he has the file still and if he wanted to make another set so I can throw them on mine. Like you I just want it to match aesthetically because I do not like having big brakes with big red calipers on the front and stock on the back. If I can get some brackets for the back I will pull the rear end apart and put the 4.11 gears rear diff and rebuild the rear axle hub to hub. I then I want to have the calipers powder coated blue and then flush the fluid. Ideally I would like to have the rear end narrowed since I am running the 20" GMC declad wheels widened 2.5" with 325/50/20 and 275/55/20 on the front. I did have 275/40 and 315/35 but the sidewall was too small and the tires weren't wide enough. It looked really good from the side with spindles, Viking DA coilovers, DJM rear hardware, Belltech 5305 coils, adjustable panhard, and Airlift bags. But the 275/55 and 325/50 fill the fenderwell so much better and ride better.

1badjimmy

Reaction score
Actually I just found this https://ctsvbrakeswap.com/collectio...ck-suv-4-piston-c7-rear-big-brake-bracket-kit so if they still make this then this is perfect. It uses the stock rear disc, a commonly available caliper, doesn't break the bank, and will look tons better than the stock 2 piston calipers. You could get this and PC your front calipers and throw on some Brembo stickers and be good.

Except the calipers are twice as much as the 1st Gen CTS-V calipers. Plus the stock sized rear rotors inside 20s is puny looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2