2005 Silverado 4wd transmission codes 740, 758, & P2761

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never ever reuse transmission wiring harnesses - they all go in the trash and new ones installed on reassbly. Hopefully, he got the junkard one for free or at most a few dollars...
Absolutely. When a tranny is opened up for a rebuild or even just a valve body service or replacement then the harness should be replaced and I would never use a used one.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give an update. I am still having the issue.
If i use the key to start the truck it works flawless without any issues or codes. If i use the remote key fob, it sets the same transmission codes. I even tried using the remote start, then pushing the brake shutting the truck off, then inserting the key and starting up. It still sets the codes. I went by Best buy that had installed it 2 years ago to ask some questions. There is a sign by the install door stating hours TBD once an installer is hired. I have the proper voltage from the ignition switch to the harness at the pan. Proper voltage across the Ign 0 fuse.

I am going to try it with the key in the ignition and in the on position and use the remote. If it does not set the codes I am going to assume the remote bypass has failed or the ignition switch is bad.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get an appointment scheduled with Best Buy today. I took it to the shop and the lead installer that manages that location and is a trainer for other locations, showed me what happened.

The pink wire under the dash was missing some of the insulation for the wire. The pink wire was touching the metal removable shield for the drivers protection. It had blew the 10am fuse on the remote start bypass module. When using the key no transmission codes. Using the remote produced codes. It was not getting poser to the transmission. He also fixed the other fuse that was twisted/inserted into the remote bypass. I was at the shop while he did the repair and he showed me where the fuses were located on the bypass module under the dash. It is fixed and am glad as i am now able to use it without issues.
Hope this will help someone else..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo