2004 Tahoe 2500 suspension conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jslong89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just acquired a 2004 Tahoe.. 300k odometer.. still runs but is my first project car. I want to use for long distance hunting/camping.. for idling and towing purposes I want to convert to 2500 suspension and duramax.. focusing on suspension first.. what are my options?

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YouTube duraburb they are in California and have some older videos of this body style being done up

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just acquired a 2004 Tahoe.. 300k odometer.. still runs but is my first project car. I want to use for long distance hunting/camping.. for idling and towing purposes I want to convert to 2500 suspension and duramax.. focusing on suspension first.. what are my options?
You don't really need to convert to 2500 axles for such a light vehicle. @Tozan Charles on here does a lot of overlanding, hunting and camping out in the boonies with his Tahoe.

It is not too hard to put a 9.5" 14-Bolt axle under the rear and there is a bit more involved in putting a 2011+ 9.25 front IFS differential up front. Those have a diff cover and I think you can get a locker for them.

In 2018 Randy, @randeez did a separate build thread when installed both axles on his Yukon; I cannot remember the thread title.

This guy also modded his truck similar to what you may be after:

As for the Duramax, Duraburb was in Florida last time I checked and you can find older GMT800 Tahoes conversions for sale from time to time. Many others have also done the conversions but those guys set the standard for excellence. Get your Tech-2 and subscription to ACDelco's TDS up to date, lots of programming involved.

Anyway, sounds like a fun project, do keep us posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep