2004 GMC Yukon Denali Air Ride Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ04YUKON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. 2004 GMC Yukon Denali with 130k. New to us as of October 2019. Loving it so far but needs new shocks.

Want to do away with the air ride / auto ride (rpo code Z55) and it seems Bilstein 5100s are the way to go.

I just want to make sure I'm purchasing the correct ones.

For anyone that has done the conversion from air ride to regular shocks, were there any additional parts you needed to purchase?

https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/...lstein-5100-0-2-5-front-0-1-rear-lift-shocks/

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Interesting... You're trying to delete the Z55 suspension, and I'm trying to re-install it, after a previous owner deleted it and hacked off all of the electrical connectors.

Many folks here in the Forum have deleted the Z55 suspension, and they will chime in.

OP
OP
N

NJ04YUKON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Interesting... You're trying to delete the Z55 suspension, and I'm trying to re-install it, after a previous owner deleted it and hacked off all of the electrical connectors.

Many folks here in the Forum have deleted the Z55 suspension, and they will chime in.
Thanks. I've watched quite a few videos and been shopping shocks.

From what I can tell any regular shock will fit into our Denali. Even the ones that say "except for Z55". If I'm wrong about please somebody please let me know!

Now I'm just trying to decide between KYB (Gas Adjust or Monomax) and Bilstein (5100 or 4600). And from what I've been told and watching I'll need to replace the the rear springs as well. Dayton HD springs (link below) were recommened to me.

It's my wife's vehicle and it's all stock and won't be lifted or lowered.

Why are you looking to go back tothe air ride? It's more expensive, more problematic and more things can go wrong with it.

If you are doing any towing then I can understand why it would be more desirable. But we probably are never going to tow anything with it.

Dayton Part CargoMaxx HD Coil:

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=56414

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to the Z55 suspension for 3 reasons: (1) the non-Z55 shocks that were on the truck when I purchased it were cheap shocks to begin with, and 2 started to leak. (2) the original Z55 rear springs were left on the truck, and they are too soft for a non-Z55 suspension (they depend on support from the air assist shocks). (3) the Z55 suspension was supposed to dramatically improve the handling of the truck, and I want to confirm (or deny) that assertion.

I'm not concerned about the Z55 suspension potentially being more problematic, as I have a Tech 2 to diagnose issues, and I'm experienced enough mechanically and electrically to resolve them.