2003 Tahoe with no heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekkitan

Reaction score
So coming into winter #3 with no heat. I decided it is time to figure it out. I'm getting too old to deal with the cold here in Cleveland :)

2003 Tahoe LT with dual auto climate control and aux HVAC controls (which don't work either, another issue).

Basic rundown... air blows REALLY well, but really cold on both sides. I had a service shop do a flush last winter when I got new tires which didn't help. I ran a temp gun on the hoses going in and out of the heater core through the firewall. The inlet hose after several minutes running is around 130 degrees, the outlet was around 115 degrees. Not sure how hot it *should* be after that amount of time, but that seemed like it was OK to me?

I am familiar with the blender door actuator failures on these trucks. I have been looking into getting a new one but I am not sure which one to get. The ones I look up (on RockAuto) at least seem to be between $35 and $115. Some of the cheaper ones say auto climate, then they mention LEFT and RIGHT which I am not sure what that is. I know the actuator I am thinking about is under the passenger side dash.

With the symptoms I describe, does it sound like the blend door actuator? Are my hoses high enough temperature? I'd assume that even if they weren't, I'd be getting at least luke warm air coming out, but no it is just cold. Just wanted to get some opinions before I go spending money on an actuator.

Thanks in advance.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have too many "could be" issues.

replace both (left and right side) acuators. they're about $70 each. Then you'll know they are good. If your HVAC controls don't work, you'll need to replace those (and some say they need reprogrammed as well)

I can tell you're trying to save money, but taking it to a shop (or even GM) and paying to see what the actual problem would be would save time.

OP
OP
T

tekkitan

Reaction score
You have too many "could be" issues.

replace both (left and right side) acuators. they're about $70 each. Then you'll know they are good. If your HVAC controls don't work, you'll need to replace those (and some say they need reprogrammed as well)

I can tell you're trying to save money, but taking it to a shop (or even GM) and paying to see what the actual problem would be would save time.

So there is a left side? All the posts and videos and everything I have found only detail replacing the one on the passenger (right?) side.

The controls work fine in the front, it's the rear AUX controls that don't work (which is a separate issue, because those haven't worked since I purchased the truck in 2008).

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a drivers side, passenger side, and rear.

Passenger side actuator is underneath the dash, Drivers side is up on top of the dash, and Rear is on the passenger rear side

OP
OP
T

tekkitan

Reaction score
left: ACDELCO Part # 1573952 {#89018374}
ACTUATOR,MODE CONT CAM LEFT HAND; w/A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2)
ACTUATOR,MODE CONT CAM LEFT HAND; w/A/C FRT MAN/AUX CONTROL(CJ3)

right: ACDELCO Part # 1572972 {#89018375}
ACTUATOR,TEMP VLV w/A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2) or AUX HTR,RR(C36) or RR AUX A/C(C69); AUX; w/o A/C FRT MAN/AUX CONTROL(CJ3)

Those seem like the correct part numbers?

Reading about the actuators, I can see why you think I have too many "could be" issues. The air blows fine out of all my vents as far as I can tell, so I am not convinced it is the problem either. I was reading though and read about some sort of vent that closes/opens when the heat turns on/off that will keep air from getting to the heater core. Is there an actuator for that vent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts