2003 Tahoe LT mystery plug in drivers footwell??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Folks are already chiming in with their thoughts and suggestions.

OP
OP
AJK93

AJK93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Folks are already chiming in with their thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you for the welcome Joseph! Pics attached.

I have to be a contributing member to the forum! I tend to always have older vehicles and motorcycles and I enjoy the forum communities that tend to crop up to support other folks with the same vehicles! :D PXL_20210106_230741610.jpg PXL_20210106_230721066.jpg

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great color! I have a 2000 Suburban with the same. Protect that hood... that color is super prone to sun damage. Denali wheels too, nice. Did you put those on?

OP
OP
AJK93

AJK93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great color! I have a 2000 Suburban with the same. Protect that hood... that color is super prone to sun damage. Denali wheels too, nice. Did you put those on?

Thanks! Nice to see a follow CA forum member too. I'm up in Monterey.

Since you mentioned the paint... pretty much the only area where the paint isn't perfect is about a 1ft area on the hood, just from the sun exposure I think. Otherwise, it's about the cleanest 2003 vehicle I've ever seen!

The Denali wheels were put on by the original owner. I do like them, especially with the tires that are on there. I think it gives it a little bit of a rugged look. :)

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yeah... I've been on the hunt for a good condition hood for awhile now. Never found a clean one. If you ever decide to change those wheels, let me know. I need the center caps lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Funny--mine is on my roof. Seemed like it popped out of no where.20201211_200123.jpg
Had mine dipped, because the salt here in the winter is rough on the clearcoat.20180228_175217.jpg
Not the original hood, but the original hood was in great shape. Wasn't faded at all.20180526_140527.jpg
Another NE issue--20201124_092523.jpg
Rear dogleg rusts out. I put a little rtv on it, but it's getting pretty bad.
This is on the lower sill above the running board--20201213_123808.jpg

OP
OP
AJK93

AJK93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE:

My new instrument cluster came in today, so I pulled the old one and replaced it, and checked out my mystery plug while I was at it. There are a number of black wires and one red wire coming out of it, and they all seem to route up under the steering wheel. So it seems so kind of ignition cut off is a good bet. However, the truck starts and runs fine, and all of the wires seem to be connected to something... So it's either not functioning or somehow disconnected, or that's not actually what it is?

In my poking around it seems there is a fair amount of non-factory looking wiring. I know the previous owner mentioned he used to have a TV system in the back. There's still a AV hub thing under the rear seats that aren't connected to anything. It seems like he probably has some kind of after market stereo too by the looks of the wiring. I had been thinking about wiring up a new stereo on my own (I've done a couple in the past), but after seeing all the rouge electrical (including a purple wire going right into the fuse box???), I think if I decide to do a new stereo, I might let a shot take care of it. :)

Attached a couple pictures of the black and red wires from the mystery plug, some of the weird non factory looking wiring, and the nice new looking dash!

Thanks all!
PXL_20210114_055236485.MP.jpgPXL_20210114_055305492.jpg PXL_20210114_055324753.MP.jpg PXL_20210114_061301752.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
UPDATE:

My new instrument cluster came in today, so I pulled the old one and replaced it, and checked out my mystery plug while I was at it. There are a number of black wires and one red wire coming out of it, and they all seem to route up under the steering wheel. So it seems so kind of ignition cut off is a good bet. However, the truck starts and runs fine, and all of the wires seem to be connected to something... So it's either not functioning or somehow disconnected, or that's not actually what it is?

In my poking around it seems there is a fair amount of non-factory looking wiring. I know the previous owner mentioned he used to have a TV system in the back. There's still a AV hub thing under the rear seats that aren't connected to anything. It seems like he probably has some kind of after market stereo too by the looks of the wiring. I had been thinking about wiring up a new stereo on my own (I've done a couple in the past), but after seeing all the rouge electrical (including a purple wire going right into the fuse box???), I think if I decide to do a new stereo, I might let a shot take care of it. :)

Attached a couple pictures of the black and red wires from the mystery plug, some of the weird non factory looking wiring, and the nice new looking dash!

Thanks all!
View attachment 267677View attachment 267678 View attachment 267679 View attachment 267680
I don't have the steering wheel buttons--they estimate your miles to empty?

OP
OP
AJK93

AJK93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have the steering wheel buttons--they estimate your miles to empty?

Yeah the steering wheel buttons let you cycle through odometers, hourometers, range, fuel economy, then also things like seat memory, curb view assist, etc.

My fuel gauge wasn't working until I replaced the instrument cluster, so I had been keeping it on range. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE