2003 GMC Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pew5023

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2003 gmc Denali and every once in a while, when you start it, it says unknown driver and immediately shuts off. Also, sometimes you start it and the check engine light comes on, and there is no power to the windows, instrument gauges, or radio.
I believe there was a cell phone booster or something aftermarket on it which I thought was maybe causing the problem but I removed all of that. I’ve tried both keys…no help.
Only way I can fix it is the disconnect and reconnect the battery until it happens again.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d check the grounds. Most specifically, the one on the frame rail, behind the driver wheel. I’m pretty sure one of those 2-3 wires is the ground for the cluster, and they commonly get corroded, and stop making a solid connection. Pull those off, clean up / sand a bit, apply some dielectric grease, and reattach, then add some black paint. Could also be another ground (or another wiring issue), but I’d start there.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.