2002 Yukon Xl subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, well I my plan was to go with 2 RE Audio REX8's in the factory spot. I have RE Audio RE 6.5" components in the front and rear doors, I figured I just wanted something to fill out the lower end, and didn't need alot of boom. Well I started building my fiberglass shell. Then i figured what the hell lets build a MDF box for them before I finish this box and see if I even like them. Honestly I could BARELY hear the 2 8's on 400w RMS over my components. so I decided to scrap that plan. Next I measured my shell that I had created and realized I could fit a SEX10 in that space. Tried it sealed @700 RMS and it was better but not great, so spoke with RE Audio and the said ported. I did and it is much better, still great sound quality and much louder. Well then I had to figure out how to fit 1.25 CU. FT. After displacements behind that panel. It was doable but I figured it would be quieter being side loading and behind a plastic panel that I just scrapped the idea all together and left a MDF box in the back. Finally I am sick of it and gonna fit it into a center console box and try to make it look as much like the 03 factory one as possible. I have designed it in a 3D rendering and am pretty happy with it, just gotta get the time together to build it out.

Well that was very long winded lol, but you asked so I told haha.

disclaimer: Previous vehicle was a 00 ext cab sierra with back seat removed and 2 15's in 12 cu. ft. @ 30hz 2500 RMS and 2 6.5 type R components in each front door. So yea I like loud lol

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation. That's good that you tested it as you went along. Your explanation really helped me understand all the effort you went through.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a problem. Overall I am happy with the output of my system now, just not happy about having a visible box. There are plenty of people that are satisfied with something in the stock rear location, for everything though it just couldn't keep up with my components and I would have been unhappy in the end. In all fairness the 2 8's we're the smallest subwoofer system I have ever owned.
Good luck with your build.

MPDano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna get the Polk if my repair doesn't work. I removed my subwoofer and found all the foam surround was disintegrated. I bought a new surround off ebay for $5 shipped. I've done this repair on one of my DVC Fosgates before with great results. If the woofer ends up being blown after repair, I'll get the Polk model mentioned here. I'll post my results here on the repair.

MPDano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As promised. The foam surround was $5 on eBay and another $5 in misc stuff (rubber cement and a scrubber). Other cleaning material I had already, like adhesive remover and windex.

The old material was like tar, which you need to fully remove for a good seal with the rubber cement.

20160507_221206.jpg

20160507_221212.jpg

20160507_221218.jpg

20160507_221224.jpg

20160507_221237.jpg

MPDano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success! I got my Bass back. I am happy with stock stuff. I am over the Rockford Fosgate era of my yesteryears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coldlegos

Latest posts