2002 tahoe z71 Service 4wd light on, no blown fuses, new selector switch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it drives perfect. I'll see if everything is connected, I just ordered a scanner so I can use the app scottydogs suggested, should be at my house on Tuesday so if it's not a faulty ground or unplugged harness Ill give it a scan.

I'll look into an encoder motor now but I just bought the truck a week ago so if it's expensive I may have to put fixing 4wd on the backburner
Better to try and troubleshoot it a bit before just dropping money on parts, the encoder motor is common but it could still be something else, if you bought the dorman switch those things get a bad rap all the time too.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That app will read the tccm? Everything I have been reading has said only a tech 2 can read it. I can take it to a chevy dealer but if I could scan it myself with a Bluetooth module I'd prefer that lol

yes it will, srs, abs all that stuff. even shows abs history codes and you can clear them codes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely recommend getting the 4x4 codes before doing anything. There are myriad issues that can cause the Service 4x4 message.

If you do get to the point of changing the encoder motor on the transfer case, be sure to check which motor you need by removing the old one before ordering. Some mate with a splined shaft and others mate with a shaft with two flats. Yours is about the year that the transition was made.

EM-Splined.JPG
EM-Flats.JPG

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is a good video that may help you pin point the issue. It is related to the ground. It seems like anything electrical in my experience on these trucks alway seem to be the grounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts