2002 tahoe suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowdown916

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this its the right place to ask my question, I have a 2002 Tahoe ls,i just got it few days ago, the suspension of the Tahoe feels really hard, every speed bump or holes on the road I can feel then bad,it has 20" rims and it seens the shocks been replaced before. I don't know much about tahoes,but do they use air shocks with compressors?

Oleblack03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That year tahoe shouldn't have an air ride, do you have any service records that can verify shock replacement? How many miles are on it?

OP
OP
B

bowdown916

Reaction score
It has 111k miles, the stock shocks are always black and big right?
This one are dark blue and thin, but I gotta double check because it was late at night when I was looking ..

Oleblack03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah they usually would be, have you looked at all of the bushings on the suspension components?

OP
OP
B

bowdown916

Reaction score
Haven't look at the bushings yet, how a bad bushing should look like?

Oleblack03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lift the front end of the tahoe off the ground, use a pry bar or something of that sort and try to move the tires up and down and feel for any looseness, also try to move them side to side and feel for looseness as well. Have you heard any rattling noises coming from the front end?

The only looks you can look for are torn grease boots, and the top shock bushing.

If that all checks out then I would say your shocks are bad, or the wheel and tire combo could be causing a rougher ride due to lower profile tires

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bowdown916

Reaction score
No rattling noises, it has 20" rims , tires are about 40% good, I just had then balance, last owner said she did an alignment couple months ago..

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has the suspension been modified at all? are the torsion bars cranked up? does the front end sit up higher or level with the rear?

OP
OP
B

bowdown916

Reaction score
It looks level to me, but I'll get some pics later today of the truck and suspension, shocks has be replace before so I'm gonna start with those..

OP
OP
B

bowdown916

Reaction score
pics of the shocks,splindes,arms....

Attachments

• tahoeimage.jpg
    tahoeimage.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 76
  • tahoeimage2.jpg
    tahoeimage2.jpg