2002 chevy silverado ticking/tapping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landonz

Reaction score
I understand this is a tahoe page but figured maybe i could still get some input. I have a 2002 silverado 5.3L with 179K on it, I’m getting a wierd sound coming from drivers side inside of cab. Pretty much right behind steering wheel. Sounds like a tick, or tapping. Only seem to be able to hear it when engine is cold and it dam near disappears when it gets to full operating temp. Almost sounds like a exhaust leak because it matches the throttle exactly. When i tap throttle it does it, when i lay on the throttle it does it faster. I’ve already replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, donut gasket, manifold studs etc about a year ago and now all the sudden it started doing it. I don’t think it has anything to do with it but it has had a little trouble starting recently with these colder ambient temps. I did a complete tune up at 100K, spark plugs, wires etc. New battery 6 months ago.Is it possible the gaskets went bad already?

Any help is appreciated.

jimmy-burns

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 01 5.3 with this issue. Gm has had this problem a long time. There was an offer to repair some engines but that time is long gone. The noise is piston skirt slap. The piston has very shortl skirts below the wrist pins for reduced friction. They change shape when cold. The noise comes from the skirt not keeping the piston from rocking back and forth on the wrist pin when the piston changes direction at the end of the stroke. When the gap is large between the bore and the skirt, they slap the wall of the cyl. When the direction reverses. As the piston expands from heat, the gap between the bore and the piston skirt closes and the noise goes away. No damage comes from this if you allow the engine to warm before you thrash on it. I would never want to put pistons in an engine for this noise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts