2001 Chevy Tahoe led help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanBax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s up guys! I have literally never done this before and I just signed up on this today so forgive me if I do this wrong or I am not asking the correct way..

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.3 V-8 and I recently have been upgrading my LEDs on the interior and All the regular little lightbulbs are perfectly fine and I’ve been recently working on the final touches on the cluster and the dash switches (head light switch, and the 2 switches next to it), plus the climate control.
After I did the cluster and then the headlight switch bulb (the dimmer switch) and everything was fine….. THEN I started on the other 2 switches next to it which I had to sodder and after I got done and hooked everything back up.. not only did the headlight switch stop lighting up, but the cluster did as well but the wierd part is that the blinkers work… all the little lights like the seatbelt warning light also work but the main lighting behind all the Gauges are not working and it’s very frustrating because I have no clue how to even troubleshoot it to even fix the problem because I don’t even know where to start… I checked every single fuse like 10 different times and they’re all fine… I’ve took out I’ve took out all the lightbulbs out of the cluster and replace them with different ones and still nothing… It’s driving me crazy because I just want to get it to work because now I can’t even see at night time because I can’t even see the damn speedometer lol….

I just read it and it probably seems kind of confusing but hopefully I explained it good I could definitely take some pictures I just need somebody to maybe guide me in a different direction and I’ll try anything because I don’t even know what to do at this point.
Anyways anybody’s there thank you and I’m sorry if this is not how you write stuff on here lol.. Regardless I hope everyone has a good day and I hope to hear from you guys soon and thank you!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like maybe whatever you did last caused a short or maybe you got the polarity backwards on one of the last bulb/s you did before the cluster stopped working, maybe toss a unmodified switch back in and see what happens.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

LEDs are not bi-directional, meaning that they have to be installed with the leads going to the proper terminals, otherwise, they don't work. So, if you installed an LED in the wrong direction, it is possible that it could impact other components in your system.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting a little confused on exactly what you put in for bulbs, but LED bulbs are polarity-specific. An LED will not work at all, if it has the wrong polarity. Try pulling the non-working LED and flipping it around the other direction.

If your issue is not the bulbs, it may be your soldering work. Maybe not enough solder for a good connection or too much solder making a connection where it shouldn't (short).

Too much heat for too long can also damage some electronic components on circuit boards.

Good luck!

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up guys! I have literally never done this before and I just signed up on this today so forgive me if I do this wrong or I am not asking the correct way..

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.3 V-8 and I recently have been upgrading my LEDs on the interior and All the regular little lightbulbs are perfectly fine and I’ve been recently working on the final touches on the cluster and the dash switches (head light switch, and the 2 switches next to it), plus the climate control.
After I did the cluster and then the headlight switch bulb (the dimmer switch) and everything was fine….. THEN I started on the other 2 switches next to it which I had to sodder and after I got done and hooked everything back up.. not only did the headlight switch stop lighting up, but the cluster did as well but the wierd part is that the blinkers work… all the little lights like the seatbelt warning light also work but the main lighting behind all the Gauges are not working and it’s very frustrating because I have no clue how to even troubleshoot it to even fix the problem because I don’t even know where to start… I checked every single fuse like 10 different times and they’re all fine… I’ve took out I’ve took out all the lightbulbs out of the cluster and replace them with different ones and still nothing… It’s driving me crazy because I just want to get it to work because now I can’t even see at night time because I can’t even see the damn speedometer lol….

I just read it and it probably seems kind of confusing but hopefully I explained it good I could definitely take some pictures I just need somebody to maybe guide me in a different direction and I’ll try anything because I don’t even know what to do at this point.
Anyways anybody’s there thank you and I’m sorry if this is not how you write stuff on here lol.. Regardless I hope everyone has a good day and I hope to hear from you guys soon and thank you!
I did a full led install on mine. How I check everything is take a square battery. Small one like for smoke alarm. Forgot the volt. But hook 2 alligator clips to it then touch it to the board I worked on to see if it lights up. Like touch them to the pads. U can troubleshoot that way. How I did all mine. The blinkers an stuff are on different paths

Attachments

• D5EBE3E6-DF1E-41BE-AEB9-AB7CCA97D065.jpeg
    D5EBE3E6-DF1E-41BE-AEB9-AB7CCA97D065.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 12