2000 Yukon slt really weird Hvac issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollincoal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, to all. First off happy New Years to everybody. So I just noticed this about a week ago that my front climate controls seem to be working intermittently unless the temperature is all the way on hot. It doesn’t seem to blow good heat until fan and temp are both set on max. In the rear on every setting it blows cold air and nothing else. Coolant flush and new thermostat and no change. Anybody got any ideas before I start replacing hvac modules , controls , and actuators? Any suggestions would be much obliged! Thanks ...

Cbncanada

Reaction score
How is the engine temperature? Thermostat could be stuck open even if it is new.

OP
OP
Rollincoal

Rollincoal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Truck seems like it always takes awhile to get to operating temp. Another thing I noticed yesterday is when I set to defrost in the front, I can hear the air in the vents on top of the dash but physically feel no air coming out.

Jerry S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it consistent in 'auto' and 'manual' mode? My '03 AC/Heat was running erratic also and I kept hearing a very weak buzzing/rattling sort of sound when I shut everything down. I could get the fan and vents to work in manual mode but not auto. Kept listening and tracked it to that little round 'speaker' looking button above the drivers left side on the ceiling just above the door. it is an AC sensor for the drivers side and was bad. Swapped it and all worked perfect. Took maybe 5 minutes.

Klympt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may have multiple issues.
First, what thermostat did you put in it (temperature setting)?
Do you have a buzzing noise from the "speaker grill" above the driver seat? That is one of your cab temperature sensor (I believe there is a second one in the rear in the headliner). If it is buzzing, replace it.
Second, before you replace more parts, do a fuse pull reset (there is a proceedure floating around here that explains it). Pay aytention to the actuators to listen for them moving. If you do not hear them cycle from floor to defrost during the reset, then check the actuators.
Do you have the mirror with the temperature display? I could be wrong (if I am, please correct me), but I am pretty sure that in auto, it uses that number (outside ambient temperature) to add or remove outside air as part of its temperature regulation. I have read that replacing that mirror has fixed similar problems, but not always (it is a bit on the pricey side). Side note, while I have read that the outside ambient temperature sensor in the grill rarely fails and should not be replaced, it is a cheap part and simple to swap out (it's outside your radiator to the right of the transmission cooler I believe). I would change it just to eliminate it as a point of failure (Actually, I did while troubleshooting my '03.).
Lastly, the climate control unit itself has been known to fail, but again it is an expensive part, so if anyone has a way to verify it is working properly, please chime in.
I hope some of this helped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne