2000 Tahoe New Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikemustang289

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post to the forum. I just purchased a 2000 Yukon Denali from the original owner. She's got just over 90k original miles. Very clean Yukon with no issues what so ever that I could find. Everything seems to work as it should, even the paint is like new. It is setup as a dual fuel vehicle so it will run on propane in addition to gasoline.

I plan to use the Yukon primarily for camping up north here in Az so I want to make sure I take care of any suggested preventative maintenance before going out on any long trips. I dont know much about these old Yukons so im hoping to learn from some other owners what to expect during my ownership. I dont have much of a service history on this yukon. The alternator and battery appear new or recently replaced and the tires and brakes look new as well. I plan initially to change all the fluids. Wondering if theres anything else I need to look for or keep an eye on. Appreciate any advice from other owners or those with experience.

00k0k_eN6irLY00rg_600x450.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post to the forum. I just purchased a 2000 Yukon Denali from the original owner. She's got just over 90k original miles. Very clean Yukon with no issues what so ever that I could find. Everything seems to work as it should, even the paint is like new. It is setup as a dual fuel vehicle so it will run on propane in addition to gasoline.

I plan to use the Yukon primarily for camping up north here in Az so I want to make sure I take care of any suggested preventative maintenance before going out on any long trips. I dont know much about these old Yukons so im hoping to learn from some other owners what to expect during my ownership. I dont have much of a service history on this yukon. The alternator and battery appear new or recently replaced and the tires and brakes look new as well. I plan initially to change all the fluids. Wondering if theres anything else I need to look for or keep an eye on. Appreciate any advice from other owners or those with experience.

View attachment 203457
That's a beautiful Denali. I've never seen one that color before. Besides fluids, I'd also give it a full tune up--plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter etc. Also a very thorough once over--hoses, belts, radiator etc. Have any interior shots? Looks like you got a winner there. Good luck with her.

OP
OP
M

Mikemustang289

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's a beautiful Denali. I've never seen one that color before. Besides fluids, I'd also give it a full tune up--plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter etc. Also a very thorough once over--hoses, belts, radiator etc. Have any interior shots? Looks like you got a winner there. Good luck with her.
Sounds easy enough I should be able to knock all that out in a weekend. I have been looking for a camping vehicle for a while but didnt want to spend a fortune. For the money I dont think I could have done better. Was looking at 4runners, Pathfinders, and Jeep Cherokees but anything with lower mileage isn't cheap.

00505_2acMSeRJcC8_600x450.jpg 00202_hSuCoeYeGDg_600x450.jpg 01515_hojBwfgzcLp_600x450.jpg

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also an extremely rare truck given the transitional model year. I would buy it for that console alone. Enjoy it.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club, what a nice vehicle, someone took a lotta pride in this Denali, your lucky. You will get a lot of suggestions for mods (wheel's,tires etc.) Leave it alone doing only necessary maintenance. Have complete trust in the shop you use if necessary, there are people out there who can and will empty your wallet. My Tahoe just turned 205,550 on the clock, still no major repairs other than normal maintenance. JMHO and good luck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Where in AZ are you? I'm down in Chandler.

I just bought my old 2000 Limited back from the guy I sold it to. Fluids is the big thing, do the oil and fluid changes. I would suspect plugs, cap, rotor, wires are due, unless they were done recently.

The intake manifold gaskets, if they have never been done, may pose a problem soon. I had to do them at about 155K on my limited. And the fuel injection spider, from what I have read, there is a slightly newer design. I replaced it on this truck when i did the intake manifold gaskets since I was in there.

Other than that, just enjoy. I'm still really surprised at how quiet this thing is on the freeway. You definitely have the better center console. I would love to find one of those to throw into my truck.

Congrats on a nice new vehicle. It should give you plenty of mileage.

OP
OP
M

Mikemustang289

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in Gilbert. Not sure if the intake gaskets have ever been done but I inspected the front and rear of the intake and have no signs of leaks so for now I'll let that be until it needs to be done. I changed the oil and coolant as well as the belt and tensioner/idler pulley. Probably do the diffs and tcase fluid next. The water pump looks original so thats on the list as well. And then plugs and wires/cap/rotor. Not sure if the fuel pump is original either but rather than replace it I think I'm gonna get AAA and not worry about it. First camping trip is planned for this weekend so I'll see how it does. Really looking forward to putting some miles on it. Compared to my daily beater Camry this thing feels like a brand new luxury suv. Still can't believe I got this much car for $5k.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in SE Chandler. Sounds like you are doing the right preventative stuff. My 2000 Limited has 195K on it, fires right up, engine is smooth and the transmission shifts well. I think if you don't beat on it too badly, it will go for quite a while. I really like the roominess and size of the truck. Mine is 2WD, when I owned it before I was average 16mpg around town, which I don't think is to bad. Generally got 19-21MPG all freeway cruising at 70-75mph. Yours being 4WD I would expect a mile or two less.

They are also pretty easy to work on in general. Out replacing the drivers interior door handle right now on mine. Would only open from the outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52

Latest posts