1st time trailering with 2013 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Man, reading this makes me wonder how I've towed my 18' 1500lb car hauler with a 3200lb car on and off since about 2006 with my Yukons without a WD hitch. I do have a brake controller though.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Fless the RPO sheet shows GU6 and K5L but no JL1. No controller at my left knee.

The camper I'm renting off Outdoorsy.com is a 21 ft Jayco Jay Flight Baja Edition. 4,300 lbs. The owner did not mention anything about a weight distributing hitch or brake controller.
I'm assuming this is 21' ball to bumper? Single axle? 4300 lbs loaded (gross)? If yes on all 3, I'm in the camp that you can do this safely without a weight distributing hitch. If instead it's 4300 lbs. unloaded it's probably a tandem axle and I would then agree that a WDH is needed.

OP
OP
H

hockeyguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes @Geotrash it is a single axle and I think the dry weight is 3350 lbs. Owner has it posted as 4300 lbs but that must be fully loaded.

So, being as that I can go ball to bumper what concerns should I have about the tongue weight?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes @Geotrash it is a single axle and I think the dry weight is 3350 lbs. Owner has it posted as 4300 lbs but that must be fully loaded.

So, being as that I can go ball to bumper what concerns should I have about the tongue weight?
That's about right for a single axle. In my opinion, no concerns with tongue weight. I pulled a Springdale 1800BH with our Yukons for many thousands of miles without a WDH. It was also a single axle at 3400 empty, 4400 loaded. You will notice some squat, and be careful not to load the back of the Tahoe with a bunch of heavy gear, but you don't need a WDH for that trailer. When ours was loaded up for camping, the tongue weight was around 550 lbs because I had a generator mounted on a platform over the A-frame of the trailer, but without that, your tongue weight will be around 400-450 lbs. You won't have any problems with that. If you do it often, you may want to invest in sumo springs to get rid of the squat completely, unless you have the factory rear air suspension. In which case, you won't have any squat anyway because the airbags will take it out.

Also, etrailer.com has some great videos for installing a Tekonsha P3 in your truck. When I installed one in our 2007 I think it took me all of 20 minutes because the wiring is already there.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You want to shoot for tongue weight to be 10% to 15% of the weight of the loaded camper. Always tow with the trailer A-frame level or pointed slightly down at the hitch, in order to minimize sway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts