1999 Barn Door Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If all goes well, I will likely have a new to me 1999 Chevy K1500 barn door suburban in my driveway by Tuesday afternoon. I actually saw a 2004 K2500 Suburban that I really liked but had some vibration problems in the rotors and just pulling away and building speed up to about 40 mph and the steering wheel would shudder badly and I felt it was likely a steering component problem but the lot would not let me take to garage to inspect. The rig was 70 miles away and they wanted too much anyway.

Back to the 1999, white in color and completely straight. No dents, scrapes or scratches. 128k miles. Immediate start and smooth idle of engine and great accel on the road and smooth feel in steering wheel and smooth braking, regular and hard pedal. Great handling in curves and corners and again, barn doors and the doors detents worked as they should.

Noted problems: Driver's side rear second row door lock actuator is bad. A/C blows warm and compressor clutch will not engage but will with paperclip across low pressure switch. No pressure at shrader but no obvious signs at the under hood hoses or connections. Has an outstanding recall that will be addressed by Tuesday. Mfr. Recall No. N000044: FMVSS Neck Extension Requirements. Inside rear spare tire hold down broken. Needs a complete detail and will be done by Tuesday. I will handle the a/c leak and actuator problems. Engine temp feels normal at the hoses but gauge reads at about 150 degrees, after long road test. Likely a sender and will be addressed.

Pluses: No dents, scratches, scrapes. All doors and windows work as should. Low miles at 128K. Heater works as should. All power controls on both seats works as should. Cloth interior in great shape with no tears or rips. No glass chips or cracks. All steering wheel and steering column controls work as should. 42 gallon fuel tank. Tow package set up. Tires all match with 3/4 tread and has full size new looking spare. Almost forgot the best thing, IMO, absolutely no rust. Keep remembering things: Great oil pressure and charging gauge readout.

I will be going thru this more when get home.

The lot was asking $8k. Got down to $6k. More pics after home arrival.

IMG_20221007_200830.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, we were warned and I was not willing to give them any kind of money to hold the rig till they got it ready by Tuesday for us. It was sold for full price, they said this and I don't know if is true or not, this morning. They had wanted me to leave some cash or a check to hold for me till Tuesday. I had said no. They then said if someone buys it before then, I was out. I said no problem. It was not meant to be and will move on now.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christ on a cracker!! Roller coaster of emotion!

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we were warned and I was not willing to give them any kind of money to hold the rig till they got it ready by Tuesday for us. It was sold for full price, they said this and I don't know if is true or not, this morning. They had wanted me to leave some cash or a check to hold for me till Tuesday. I had said no. They then said if someone buys it before then, I was out. I said no problem. It was not meant to be and will move on now.
I had a 93 just like that. over 200K with regular oil and filter maintenance. Replace spark plug cable at about 180K miles.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I want to pull a travel trailer with a new to me Suburban and IMO, that means a 3/4 ton set up. I am getting educated as to trailer weight dry and then loaded and towing limitations on 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton tow rigs. I towed before with a heavy off road rig and heavy trailer and all the additional equipment and tools but I had a 3/4 ton Duramax at the time and experienced absolutely no problems with that tow rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645