1996 tahoe idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the normal idle? Im running almost 1500 rpm, Im just wondering if that normal. Thank you for looking c:

OP
OP
Symba_The_Lyon

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the normal idle? Im running almost 1500 rpm, Im just wondering if that normal. Thank you for looking c:

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Normal should be around 600 rpm.

Is it always that high?

chevy_338

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea that's really high. Start by looking for a vacum leak carb clean does great for that. Just start spraying every where around the intake if the idle changes then that the problem. If not then its time for a scan tool and that's a vortex motor every thing needs to be done by a scan tool.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ii it a vortec or a TBI? Sounds like a bad idle air control valve if its a vortec, make sure all the plugs on the drivers side of the throttle body (there should be two) are connected securely.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
vortec has a typical idle should be about 650-690 when hot on a warm day. turn you key on while listening for noise from your throttle body. if you do not here a noise close up you iac valve may be broken. that idle tho should have also triggered a code for a cuase tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Symba_The_Lyon

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idle is always around 1000 to maybe tops 1300, This started to do the after my father went to auto zone and all i remember is that the guy working suggested that we should reset something in the trucks computer and it been at a high idle ever sense >.> Have you guys herd of the (Innova OBD2 Automotive Diagnostic Code Scanner) from the reviews i have seen it seems to be pretty easy to use and relatively don't cost a hole lot, and the engine is a 5.7 liter vortec.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Try this first. At ten second intervals turn key on, wait key off and repeat two more times. That will reset or learn you iac.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

As far as the scanner it will be good for basic code scanning in most cases but maybe not much else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz