15amp radio fuse keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, seeing if anyone here ever installed a aftermarket radio and had a issue with the 15 amp radio fuse randomly blowing under the hood. It’s a flip up touch screen pioneer unit. Doesn’t happen all time can go weeks without it happening and can happen 3 times in a day. Everything looks good I am lost here.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hrm...

How many amps does the head unit call for?
How many watts are your speakers / the amp in the system?
Does it blow the fuse if you keep the volume down lower?

I've blown that fuse but for other reasons. I was a dumbass and put jumper cables backwards. I caught it, but it blew that fuse and the factory amp. That fuse is always powered despite the ignition position, I believe.

My guess is, your head unit needs a bit bigger fuse. Does it have a built in amp? Or do you have an amp on a separate fuse? I believe the factory powers both off the same fuse... Been a while since I fiddled with that circuit.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, seeing if anyone here ever installed a aftermarket radio and had a issue with the 15 amp radio fuse randomly blowing under the hood. It’s a flip up touch screen pioneer unit. Doesn’t happen all time can go weeks without it happening and can happen 3 times in a day. Everything looks good I am lost here.
you might have a short to ground somewhere, double check all the radio wiring and harness

OP
OP
Teamiez

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hrm...

How many amps does the head unit call for?
How many watts are your speakers / the amp in the system?
Does it blow the fuse if you keep the volume down lower?

I've blown that fuse but for other reasons. I was a dumbass and put jumper cables backwards. I caught it, but it blew that fuse and the factory amp. That fuse is always powered despite the ignition position, I believe.

My guess is, your head unit needs a bit bigger fuse. Does it have a built in amp? Or do you have an amp on a separate fuse? I believe the factory powers both off the same fuse... Been a while since I fiddled with that circuit.
I believe it has a built in amp it does have a 10 amp fuse of its own on the unit, when the fuse pops it’s when starting the vehicle I believe. I would start the truck and the head unit is just automatically dead. Never blows while in operation.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it has a built in amp it does have a 10 amp fuse of its own on the unit, when the fuse pops it’s when starting the vehicle I believe. I would start the truck and the head unit is just automatically dead. Never blows while in operation.
try moving the radio ground, ground the head unit to somewhere more solid and see if that resolves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts