0w-20 or 5w-30 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
A strong argument is taking place now in the Arabian Gulf about the suitable engine oil for GM cars from 2015 to 2021.
Some people say that 0w-20 oil has low viscosity which does not suit the powerful GM engines !!! So, they have changed to 5w-30, and they say it is perfect!!

Do you think they are correct? Any ideas?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I would say people in extremely warm climates such as the Arabian gulf would be fine running 5W-20. The oil is probably already 120 degrees upon startup. But I believe they should stick with the operating viscosity of 20 as fully calculated by the GM engineers. I’ll be sticking with 0W as I’m in northern MN and can certainly dip to -20F upon startup and I need the oil to more quickly get through my engine upon startup.

Curious what others have to say...

OP
OP
k1970

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say people in extremely warm climates such as the Arabian gulf would be fine running 5W-20. The oil is probably already 120 degrees upon startup. But I believe they should stick with the operating viscosity of 20 as fully calculated by the GM engineers. I’ll be sticking with 0W as I’m in northern MN and can certainly dip to -20F upon startup and I need the oil to more quickly get through my engine upon startup.

Curious what others have to say...

Some people in KSA have turned to 0w40, because they got upset with the noise which comes from the lifters

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best is to go from factory spec and in the manual there might be a list for different area's/climates. I don't have experience with these engines but other people here will! But I think you should go from there and you could call a few garages who maintain these cars, and get the older people with experience when asking :D

OP
OP
k1970

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to the engineers that built the engine , what do they know.

I understand this!
You are absolutely correct! I always check the owner's manual. Really, I am not very sure about what they say, but I just want to see what other people think ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11