09 Denali Screen Intermittently Goes Black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, searched and read through some threads relating to this issue, but didn't find anything concrete. A couple weeks ago I replaced the battery in the wife's 09 Yukon Denali. The screen on the head unit is working off and on. Radio still works, can scan for other stations. At first it was either working or not for the drive. The last time out with it (last time I was out driving it) mid drive home it went from not working to all of a sudden working. Everything else seams fine.

She on her way out? Should I unhook battery and leave it unhooked for a bit?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, searched and read through some threads relating to this issue, but didn't find anything concrete. A couple weeks ago I replaced the battery in the wife's 09 Yukon Denali. The screen on the head unit is working off and on. Radio still works, can scan for other stations. At first it was either working or not for the drive. The last time out with it (last time I was out driving it) mid drive home it went from not working to all of a sudden working. Everything else seams fine.

She on her way out? Should I unhook battery and leave it unhooked for a bit?

I think the unit is on its way out. Unfortunately, I know of no way to diagnose them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically what I gathered. Fwiw, I drove it tonight and it worked fine. Time will tell.

Someone was asking about them the other day and I know of a company that refurbishes and upgrades them and came across another guy on Ebay that does it too. I am reluctant to install an aftermarket unit because they are not as enduring but GM is not authorizing HERE to make new navigation maps, the latest are 4 years old now.

OP
OP
14RamHemiSport

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone was asking about them the other day and I know of a company that refurbishes and upgrades them and came across another guy on Ebay that does it too. I am reluctant to install an aftermarket unit because they are not as enduring but GM is not authorizing HERE to make new navigation maps, the latest are 4 years old now.

We will see how long it lasts. We don't use the nav on it, so not worried about that. Thinking out loud, will the newer units fit / swap in? Say a 2017 or so?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We will see how long it lasts. We don't use the nav on it, so not worried about that. Thinking out loud, will the newer units fit / swap in? Say a 2017 or so?

I don't think those will, not certain, but the 2012-2014 ones will. They have a hard drive and do not have a flip up screen like ours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-SER...D-DVD-Rom-Player-Screen-Factory-/172823136701

https://audioexpressrichmond.com/oe...acement-factory-navigation-ford-toyota/#brush

https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/2009-gmc-yukon

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The screen going black occasionally is either the driver or a spotty connection. I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about the mail in repair services. It’ll have to be pulled out of the dash which is easy when YouTube videos are followed.

Use the time to add a Crux accessory for BT music (AD2P) and / or screen mirroring while it’s apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr