08 Yukon XL Fuel Tank Strap Corroded and Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just a reminder to anyone who has an older GM truck and lives in a rust belt to inspect your tank straps. The other day was driving along and suddenly heard something metallic dragging on the ground and then saw something fall out behind me in the rear view mirror. I pulled over and ran back and there was my rear tank strap lying in the middle of the road. I was lucky, my tank was full but the forward strap hung on fine. The tank dropped down a few inches but stayed put!! I have read other worse outcomes with people loosing the tank and lots of damage!!
Ordered up a new set of straps from Napa and replaced the rear one the next day. Another bonus of living in the rust belt is that the ****** retainer GM used will not retain the nut on the top of the anchor bolt and you will have to resort to extraordinary measures involving a grinder or a sawsall or a torch to get the strap bolt out without dropping the tank. Be very careful and be sure to have a fire extinguisher at the ready.
Hope this warning helps someone prevent having a costly failure.

Attachments

• 0A4EFCD6-0E2E-417C-A1AA-30BB6902BC9E.jpeg
    0A4EFCD6-0E2E-417C-A1AA-30BB6902BC9E.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 4
  • AE5BD004-5052-4C88-9159-F8D2449A4620.jpeg
    AE5BD004-5052-4C88-9159-F8D2449A4620.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 4

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wow....that is crazy. I lived in a rust belt state and ran shops there and never saw one break like that, unless we were trying to remove a strap in the shop and the process was too much for the rusted strap. Glad it worked out for you.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Wow....that is crazy. I lived in a rust belt state and ran shops there and never saw one break like that, unless we were trying to remove a strap in the shop and the process was too much for the rusted strap. Glad it worked out for you.
We do get some nasty rust issues up here especially with the road salt. A quick look around on the net was proof that this issue happens quite often and many weren’t as lucky as me to have no damage and costly repairs and the fact my small town Napa had the parts indicates they are a popular replacement.
Add it to the list of items that get a close look when you’re under there for oil changes!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We do get some nasty rust issues up here especially with the road salt. A quick look around on the net was proof that this issue happens quite often and many weren’t as lucky as me to have no damage and costly repairs and the fact my small town Napa had the parts indicates they are a popular replacement.
Add it to the list of items that get a close look when you’re under there for oil changes!!
In a state like that, I would be checking my spare tire "dispenser" regularly.

OP
OP
Reaction score
In a state like that, I would be checking my spare tire "dispenser" regularly.
Yes indeed, the spare gets dropped annually and cleaned and the hoist gets lubed and a laundry list of other corrosion control items get attention, never ending battle!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes indeed, the spare gets dropped annually and cleaned and the hoist gets lubed and a laundry list of other corrosion control items get attention, never ending battle!!
I do not envy you one bit, living in a salt state, been there and done that and worked in the shops and dealt with broken this and broken that. I have seen a tool/apparatus that you can get from Amazon that you attach your hose to and it rolls under the vehicle and sprays, under pressure, the whole underneath to help with the salt residue.

OP
OP
Reaction score
I do not envy you one bit, living in a salt state, been there and done that and worked in the shops and dealt with broken this and broken that. I have seen a tool/apparatus that you can get from Amazon that you attach your hose to and it rolls under the vehicle and sprays, under pressure, the whole underneath to help with the salt residue.

Good advise!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160