08 Bose Radio Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpAndDown

Reaction score
Hi I am new here and new to this platform, although I’ve owned a TrailBlazer for the past 16 years so I am familiar with GM products. I am looking at buying a used 08 Tahoe LT 4WD with the 5.3 flex fuel engine and about 125k on the clock. It has the Bose system with the regular CD player and no navigation screen. The paint in the buttons are all worn off and I was wondering about an upgrade. If I were to find a Bose head unit from this era with navigation would it be a straight swap? Would it need to be programmed with a Tech2 for any reason? Is there a separate GPS antenna that would need to be installed somewhere? What about the possibility of a backup camera? Does anyone sell a kit like this? Thanks for the help. All replies are appreciated.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It can be swapped over to a navigation radio.

It will have to be unlocked or programmed to your VIN or it won't work.

There is a separate GPS antenna and it plugs into the back of the HU and mounts to a metal plate underneath the forward most dash panel, closest to the windshield. If you pop up that panel toward the windshield it will be mounted just to the right of center.

You could use an aftermarket backup camera but you will need to splice a female RCA plug onto two wires on the small brown connector for the radio in order to get the video feed into the unit.

In all honesty, I have an '08 Suburban that came with the factory navigation and I hated it. It was just an awful interface for the GPS and I ended up swapping to an aftermarket Navi (Kenwood with Garmin maps built in) and it is an absolutely amazing difference all the way around including the sound quality. The aftermarket HU really wakes up the subwoofer in the center console.

My best recommendation is to save the money you would spend on a factory navigation unit and put it towards an aftermarket HU and a Maestro unit to maintain all the factory functions like steering wheel controls, as well as gain some extra things like OBD 2 stuff on your new HU if it is compatible.

Some guys have upgraded to the 2012+ Navi with hardrive... again my money would go towards a Kenwood.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya the better option is to just yank that archaic radio and install a newer wireless deck you will like it 100X better, besides there are no new map updates and it's basically unsupported anymore you might get limited 3rd party support if you buy one of there refurbished radio's but going with a newer deck is not that much a leap from there.

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. What price range would I be looking in to get a unit like you recommend with all of the needed adapters? I assume these have an optional backup camera as well. That’s a feature I would like. Thanks again

kbuskill

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. What price range would I be looking in to get a unit like you recommend with all of the needed adapters? I assume these have an optional backup camera as well. That’s a feature I would like. Thanks again

It depends on if you have to have the latest and greatest or not.

Also if you shop around you will probably find better prices.

Crutchfield is a good place to go look and see what is a direct fit for your truck and what adapters you may need. I usually use them to make a list and then shop around.

I personally went with the Kenwood DNX575S and the IDatalink Maestro RR. You will also need a couple wiring harnesses that are specific for your truck.

Here is what I bought for harnesses...
Idatalink HRN-AV-GM5 RSE retention harness
(Rear Seat Entertainment) you only need this if you have rear video screens.

iDatalink ADS HRN-RR-GM5+ Interface Harness Chime Speaker for select 2006-up GM

You will also need a dash adapter. I used a Metra 95-3305

The Kenwood I bought was a factory refurbished unit and I have had zero issues with it in the 2 years since installing it.

I shopped around and got everything for $486 not including a backup camera because my truck already had one from the factory.

I later upgraded the rear view camera with a Kenwood multi angle camera and added the integrated Kenwood dash cam.

If you decide to go with a different HU just make sure you look for one with the IDatalink integration as it will give you more options like the OBD2 diagnostics on the touchscreen as well as showing vehicle gauges and tire pressures etc. You can even check and clear check engine lights with it.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, now, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I would keep the radio you have, and just add the bluetooth function to it. Then just use your cell phone with google maps.

Since the map disc for the factory navigation radio you are after hasnt been upgraded since circa 2014 anyways...

You can get overlays for the buttons, and have brand new looking buttons and knobs.

You can be all in, bluetooth, overlays, for around 175.

This also makes your truck less likely to be broken into since it is a factory radio.

I personally dont like aftermarket radios. The modules needed to get everything to work correctly gets expensive.

Unless you are just an audiophile, there just isnt a point.

Overlays..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124713542830?fits=Year:2008|Model:Tahoe&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1d0981a4ae:g:~DIAAOSw2XlglPBj&amdata=enc:AQAFAAACkBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkp2NA0WuhQytmt4dbStg00KXkt6ydXvr%2Fp%2BQYdNU7tA9Q2I9qGzSqvo1cfszYMoBoq%2FfFV4dvIS6oxQYfmHnWCtasr3hb8%2BIghTu8QqS6pN8UKvctVUuG8m7b54xjT%2FCvSqkG2OvPbhNbMPQmjCnK%2BEX3FgMQjUVZ7rFbMDmTfdl6spR072nz46ph4BN1aQ7EZ360qjsKZPg0SNqrrOIsTUi5IfFaT76cPgVs49NpG8QfspSI7AXmTzB9gvAXh7nOAgQeyprkfkPM3387%2BE2bWS%2FEgfhYyAvXH5afdlnvYi8Ok9yN42OWHRpCem97cgnwZ4peoRnip4fGRG80c%2BoNE3ibgHd%2BcKFAxW%2BV64ub1E8DBHSzGtok2WFoLKSc6AUgnYMWBTSLZViXdi4a%2BJowKH1wj3fcX81gbaXTELDGt%2BlZ2UbmCIqqc923Ec%2Fgx8ofEOtYoq201lKaddBzESvYtw%2FMqC9pCZlptOIPaJJWoxo9wmny1NgKSfhbDvMzY7i0%2BiADDegus7V1Pt49o5tY%2FuIoOz%2Bm2FyxbhEPTRGlOXtfrKpJvmiIUfQTLP4KZlqhHGfEAGqTOEzdIHGjlzWKonNoTAyK8rGawuX1IkMlW9e6p0VIf2u9SCOA3CGpf77k53OzHZx0d%2FTtK%2F47wP3DILa1%2FJ1hQfKoGfmjmaULAemfFA73eP%2F5T5ApkPDr3ELxTUVNociwhXKTa3IQVSqgmUaEjz18%2F2gHZ7ipgvSJQr0ZIFUqdjBB%2FYpqhNkN%2FMbAT1Me7XACGw16dU%2BurXrgVNNpHZvI3zrIb4dOpX1xNg96X%2FQ4Cy1UOnNFCLnkVqns|cksum:1247135428306d7f372905404d5daabc4e781c2a8dea|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524

If you have Satellite Radio..
USASpec model BT45-GM20

For a bit more, you can add a rear view mirror, with camera. Not sure how much they cost..

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
Kbuskill and TollKeeper thank you both for the great information. I like both ideas. Have you guys used the overlays? Do they look good when done and do they last? Is any one brand better than another? I have the exact issue on my radio and HVAC controls. As far as Bluetooth, that adapter looks nice the only thing I didn’t like was the clunky microphone. Does any company make a quality plug and play unit that uses the factory mic for OnStar? I won’t be an OnStar subscriber anyways so I don’t mind disabling it. The backup camera is something I would like and that possibility is lost without replacing the head unit with a screen type unit or going to separate screen or one in the rear view mirror as mentioned. Lots to think about. Anyone that added a Bluetooth module and has opinions and likes or dislikes is welcome to reply. The more info the better. Thanks again

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a brand, CoStar, that replaces the OnStar unit, but does not offer Bluetooth streaming, just phone integration, using the OnStar mic.

As for the overlays. I have gotten lucky and not needed them. But some of the members on another forum I'm part of have, and I have not heard a complaint.

If it's a standard OnStar mic, with a bit of soldering, I don't see why you couldn't make your own connection to any Bluetooth adapter

Last edited:

kbuskill

Reaction score
I have used the overlays on the HVAC controls and they work great.

One thing to look for is to make sure that the overlays allow for light transmission through the areas where it is supposed too. This way they look just like they did from the factory at night.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, for the chunky microphone. You can place it in a lot of different locations, and make it a lot less noticeable. I have mine placed at the very top left corner of my windshield clipped onto the A-Pillar plastic, and unless you are looking for it, you wouldnt know its there.

On my Envoy, I had it placed in a couple different locations, as I tried to find the best place for sound. I had it clipped on the very top of the Radio Bezel, which gave the best sound for the people on the other end of the call, but it did stick up a bit, and was very noticeable.

I also had it clipped to the very right bottom corner of the speedometer bezel. This gave OK sound, and to me was well hidden, but still noticeable.

I have known users to run the wire up the A-Pillar, across the headliner, and clip it right to the overhead console (where the OnStar mic is). If the OnStar mic is a two wire, I dont see why you couldnt wire it into the bluetooth module, assuming the mic is 2 wire.

They do make an adapter for the OnStar Mic as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep