07 Tahoe engine hot ac turned off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So I made my own restrictor for the radiator today from the metal valve stem of an old TPMS sensor.

I cut the valve stem off right at the sensor like so...

rps20210107_165216_035-jpg.jpg

Then threaded the cut off portion into the nipple on the radiator, valve stem end first.

The bigger threaded portion of the stem, where the nut screws on to hold it to the rim, actually was a snug fit and I was able to thread it into the radiator and have it hold.

I obviously removed the valve stem core before installing this.

I also cut the old radiator apart and measured the restrictor hole.

For anyone curious, it is a 3/32" hole. Pretty dang small.

This valve stem may not have the exact size hole but it is definitely smaller than the original unrestricted hole.

The truck now gets up to its normal operating temperature of 192°- 194°.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Ingenious.

Thanks... but I'm pretty sure it was just dumb luck... lol

But since it worked out I figured I would share my results in case anyone else might want to use my trick.

The thing I like about it is that once the hose is back on, nobody is the wiser... looks stock/without modification.

OP
OP
Dukenukemx

Dukenukemx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The problem has still been occurring, but I've just been clearing the code out with my ODB2 tool but I reread this post and it sounds like I should restrict the flow of coolant from the resevoir. I'm trying the clamp trick first to see if this prevents the issue. From there I guess I'll have to figure out a less jerry rigged method.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem has still been occurring, but I've just been clearing the code out with my ODB2 tool but I reread this post and it sounds like I should restrict the flow of coolant from the resevoir. I'm trying the clamp trick first to see if this prevents the issue. From there I guess I'll have to figure out a less jerry rigged method.
When I installed my Cold Case radiator, I used a little brass fitting I found on the Dorman rack at my local Autozone. It was just the right size on the outside according to my calibrated eyeball, and the hole was about 3/32". It was a snug fit into the hose so it won't migrate to the tank. No problems. Let us know what you find.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
When I installed my Cold Case radiator, I used a little brass fitting I found on the Dorman rack at my local Autozone. It was just the right size on the outside according to my calibrated eyeball, and the hole was about 3/32". It was a snug fit into the hose so it won't migrate to the tank. No problems. Let us know what you find.
I found a really easy fix on my Cold Case... Just take an empty / fired 45ACP case punch out the primer then shove it in the upper hose going to the overflow tank and reconnect the hose...

ktk11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is correct. I just went through this scenario in replacing the radiator on my 2006 as well. I had read several threads where guys had replaced the radiator and the truck would not get up to operating temperatures. The “engine hot” but is new information. But they couldn’t figure out why the truck was not getting up to operating temp. And as you stated on the OEM radiator there is a small restriction piece in the top line that routes coolant to the surge tank. I was seriously concerned about how to resolve this if my new radiator didn’t have the correct piece installed. I lucked out and the aftermarket radiator I got from 1800radiator.com had the correct restrictor in place.
Edit: hard to see in the photo but that little restriction almost looks like a little washer installed inside the piping that connects to the surge tank line:

View attachment 265383
could you send me a better picture of the restrictor hole size? Do you know the exact size? Is the a OEM radiator for a 5.3L? Thanks Ken [email protected]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tttterrrr