'07 GMC Yukon XL Denali Brakes - 4 wheel kits - Opinions/Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
Do not get cross drilled or slotted rotors for these big rigs.
They create uneven heating in the rotors causing them to crack / warp easier.
Most racing applications have actually banned them due to this reason as well
They look cool, but high performance racing applications do not use them due to new brake pad technology where they do not offgas like they used to.

The more meat you have on the rotor the more heat dissipation you will have for hard stops - this is why they have minimum rotor thickness and will only turn rotors to a certain point.

I would highly suggest the Autozone Duralast GOLD rotor with its high carbon.. They have a lifetime warranty and actually honor it.
I have put these on many trucks and my Yukon and stop much better (dont forget new brake pads!) than the stock setup with less brake fatigue if you decide to auto-cross the thing :)

+ here is a 20% off $100 coupon shipped to the door.
http://www.autozone.com/landing/pag...&intcmp=20161218_20161224_pencil_hp_top_RED20

Also- just a helpful hint - if you have a large order - break it up into multiple orders so you can maximize the 20% off!

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list. I need new rotors and pads as well.

I will not be buying any rotors that are slotted, dimpled, or drilled. What is the best solid rotor I can get that will not warp when I glance at it, and that will last a long time with a good set of Akebono ceramic pads?

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not get cross drilled or slotted rotors for these big rigs.
They create uneven heating in the rotors causing them to crack / warp easier.
Most racing applications have actually banned them due to this reason as well
They look cool, but high performance racing applications do not use them due to new brake pad technology where they do not offgas like they used to.

The more meat you have on the rotor the more heat dissipation you will have for hard stops - this is why they have minimum rotor thickness and will only turn rotors to a certain point.

I would highly suggest the Autozone Duralast GOLD rotor with its high carbon.. They have a lifetime warranty and actually honor it.
I have put these on many trucks and my Yukon and stop much better (dont forget new brake pads!) than the stock setup with less brake fatigue if you decide to auto-cross the thing :)

+ here is a 20% off $100 coupon shipped to the door.
http://www.autozone.com/landing/pag...&intcmp=20161218_20161224_pencil_hp_top_RED20

Also- just a helpful hint - if you have a large order - break it up into multiple orders so you can maximize the 20% off!

Interesting opinion.....so you really think that the weight/size of the Yukon XL makes that much difference? Since I brake quite conservatively (roll up to a stop light, you know the type that you are behind and ***** and moan about!), rarely have to do a hard stop.

I have the Autozone Duralast GOLD on the Yukon now, really can't complain, just looking for something better! :)

I have to step back to what I started this thread about and try to get opinions on the 3 kits I was looking at, don't want what my question was to get side tracked otherwise this could take forever!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list. I need new rotors and pads as well.

I will not be buying any rotors that are slotted, dimpled, or drilled. What is the best solid rotor I can get that will not warp when I glance at it, and that will last a long time with a good set of Akebono ceramic pads?

Get brembo blanks.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After all said and done, decided to try the PowerSport Kit on eBay.

Probably be here next week, will get them on and let you know about the quality of the parts in the kit, also how the "maiden" ride goes! :)

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the cracking blah blah blah goes with the slotted and drilled rotors, who's is really driving their 6k lbs nnbs that hard? If they are, im sure they have invested in brembo big brake kit and have motor, tranny, rear end upgrades. Everyday driving, occasional mountain trips, I have not had a single issue and idk how many miles were on them when I purchased the truck. I cant compare to stock as 24s were on the truck when I bought it and I have never driven a stock nbs, or nnbs.

Let us know how the install is. On my application, i guess the put the front rotors on the wrong side, as that would fix the directional issue.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of myths out there regarding brake rotor design.
When's the last time that you actually saw or experienced a cracked rotor??

As for me, I couldn't care less what my rotors look like; I just want them to be durable and a good match with the pads.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have had nothing but good luck with hart rotors. If you buy a kit, the ceramic brake pads they give you are worth their weight in shit. But rotors are great. But the key to any rotor is proper break in. You can ruin the best rotors if you don't break them in correctly. In fact, I never knew how to break in rotors until I bought a set of hart slotted rotors for my jeep from ebay. They came with a great instruction sheet. I used the pads for about 2 months and then switched to hawk green stuff pads. Best brakes I have ever had.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am waiting for the PowerSport kit to get here, supposed to be delivered on Thursday.

Any opinions on a good lube for the caliper pistons? I have ~130k miles on the '07 Yukon XL Denali, have done brakes two time before, just put new rotors and pads each time, figured it is a good this time to clean up the calipers and lube up the caliper pistons, also probably bleed the brakes.

Got some good brake cleaner, but did not see anything for lubing the caliper pistons?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts