07-14 Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban Seat Gear Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The adjustment gears for the rear portion of my drivers side lower cushion stripped on my 13 Suburban so I ordered the Gruven parts kit for it and finally got around to doing the job. There are plenty of videos out there so I won’t reinvent the wheel here but I thought I would share my experience. I didn’t have time to tie the truck up for the time needed for the epoxy to cure so I ground the rivet off the adjuster, tied the gearbox out of the way and reinstalled the seat. I took the adjuster in the house and epoxied the new gear on.
Tip 1.
Don’t loose the little thrust button that will fall out when you split the gearbox open. You will need a magnet on a stick to retrieve it.
Tip 2.
Try to get the gear square on the shaft. Mine was out of alignment and caused me some wobble. It would not work with the wobble so I had to hold the assembly with two split collars and true the gear to the drive screw.
I lubed everything up and put it back together again. I used a barrel bolt and a few washers to reattached the drive screw to the lever. I noted that I bent the lever when I punched the rivet out so I needed to bend it back a bit.
Once reinstalled the motor had a difficult time moving that adjuster. It would draw too much current and stop. I tried several times with no load and it eventually started making a groaning noise as well. I remembered someone in a youtube comment saying they ended up using the plastic worm gear because the gear mesh was not correct with the brass one.
I pulled the seat AGAIN and opened the gearbox up AGAIN. I could see how the gears would not mesh well and how they could bind. I took a chance and installed the original plastic worm gear. That worked much better! After a few up and down cycles the adjuster works much better but still doesn’t like to work real well with my 230 lbs in the seat. I think more cycles will improve the gear mesh. In all it was a success since I can now set the truck up for my wife to drive and save the setting. Now the seat moves up as expected and she can use the truck too. I advised her to let the seat adjust before getting in.
Here are some pics of the process.

F4F2B707-B2CD-4035-991D-43D56C79D43F.jpeg 636641E6-3CF3-42B1-8A6D-C86F5403D252.jpeg DA2FD63B-D1E2-472D-A791-B696101F3C5B.jpeg 3D923526-EFB5-44BF-8E3C-C5BFB3941D48.jpeg CFA7164B-BDAC-4F34-94B4-1A80DFD7E9C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Gruven metal gear didn’t work? And they supplied a plastic one too? I’m confused!

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So the Gruven metal gear didn’t work? And they supplied a plastic one too? I’m confused!
The Gruven kit came with two brass gears a worm drive and straight cut driven. They are meant to replace both the plastic gears. I initially replaced them as a set but it didn’t work. The gears didn’t mesh correctly and it bound. I tried it with the worm gear installed in both possible orientations and neither worked. The gearbox groaned and bound up. Since my nylon worm gear was still good I took the seat out again and swapped the brass worm gear out and installed the original plastic one. That worked better.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn. You would think with the price Gruven charges that their parts would work. I’d be letting them know and request a 50% refund.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the results, as well as in-process issues that you encountered, in this gear replacement project. Much appreciated, and our collective knowledge base is increased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14