05 Tahoe blower not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadrunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 Tahoe with about 120000 miles on it. The blower does not work when it is cold inside the vehicle (30 & below). The display on the console shows the blower fan speed on high but it is not blowing anything and you can not hear the blower. If I park the Tahoe in a garage and get the inside temperature up around 40 the blower works just fine. I have replaced the blower resister & checked the blower motor as suggested in other forums. A new problems started a few days ago and I am not sure if they are related or not. As with the blower when the vehicle is cold the speedometer runs very slow or not at all. When the Tahoe is warm 40 and above it works just fine. Any ideas? It is cold in Illinois this time of year & without the blower I have no heat or defrosters.

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your blower motor is either leaking so water is getting in and freezing. My 02 after going through 2 resistors got a new blower motor and never had the problem again. I asked the guys at Carquest and they said that the location on the Suburbans and the Tahoes of my vintage are notorious for this problem. Not sure if anyone else with a 02 Z71 can chime in but I would swap the blower motor not terribly expensive but a little bit of a pain to swap just where mine was located.

OP
OP
R

Roadrunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. When this all started I pulled the blower & tested it. There was no sign of anything in it. I could turn the blower freely by hand. I took it inside and tested it within a few minutes of removing it. It did not have a chance to warm up and melt any thing. After testing it I reconnected it and it still did not work. I am thinking this is a temperature sensor that is not working properly but I have no idea where to start looking.

jhacker5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 Tahoe with about 120000 miles on it. The blower does not work when it is cold inside the vehicle (30 & below). The display on the console shows the blower fan speed on high but it is not blowing anything and you can not hear the blower. If I park the Tahoe in a garage and get the inside temperature up around 40 the blower works just fine. I have replaced the blower resister & checked the blower motor as suggested in other forums. A new problems started a few days ago and I am not sure if they are related or not. As with the blower when the vehicle is cold the speedometer runs very slow or not at all. When the Tahoe is warm 40 and above it works just fine. Any ideas? It is cold in Illinois this time of year & without the blower I have no heat or defrosters.

Bump.

Did you find a solution for your problem? I have a very similar situation with my blower motor not blowing the speed indicated on the electronic climate control ... and it happens to be 18 degrees outside in balmy Kansas City. It's quite possible that water is getting inside and freezing.

I park outside so a garage isn't a viable option for experimenting right now.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having same issue. I have auto clim system. These have a HVAC control module (thing with heat sink under glove box where the blower resistor is on manual HVAC models). I think this might be the issue.

BTW, I can get my blower working by turning the unit off (the open circle button) and then turning it on by hitting mode button, usually the blower starts responding to the blower speed control again. Something with auto mode is causing blower input to be ignored.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Sounds like your blower motor is either leaking so water is getting in and freezing. My 02 after going through 2 resistors got a new blower motor and never had the problem again. I asked the guys at Carquest and they said that the location on the Suburbans and the Tahoes of my vintage are notorious for this problem. Not sure if anyone else with a 02 Z71 can chime in but I would swap the blower motor not terribly expensive but a little bit of a pain to swap just where mine was located.

Does your 02 Z71 have a resistor or hvac control module? I bought a new blower resistor for my 03 Z71 only to find there wasn't one where I was expecting it (under glove box footwell cover). I instead had a HVaC control module ( it has a alum heat sink glued on it)

For auto clim this part:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3770166&cc=1412244

For manual clim this part:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1319402&cc=1412244

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having same issue. I have auto clim system. These have a HVAC control module (thing with heat sink under glove box where the blower resistor is on manual HVAC models). I think this might be the issue.

BTW, I can get my blower working by turning the unit off (the open circle button) and then turning it on by hitting mode button, usually the blower starts responding to the blower speed control again. Something with auto mode is causing blower input to be ignored.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Does your 02 Z71 have a resistor or hvac control module? I bought a new blower resistor for my 03 Z71 only to find there wasn't one where I was expecting it (under glove box footwell cover). I instead had a HVaC control module ( it has a alum heat sink glued on it)

For auto clim this part:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3770166&cc=1412244

For manual clim this part:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1319402&cc=1412244

My 02 has a resistor. I now always carry a spare. During this really cold snap we just had my blower was squealing at start up. So dumb of chevy to use a plastic part.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think when it is very cold, maybe 30 or below, the auto climate control disables the fan, even with user input. I guess the thinking is why blow cold air. I don't think the rear blower works on this principal.

If you have auto clim control, try this next time blower isnt taking input (and it is cold), turn head unit off (circle button), then turn it back on by hitting the mode button, then increase blower speed. It should work now.

I noticed this, my first winter with 03 Z71 (had 03 LS B4). Last few days, temps above 40, and I hear blower in auto mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts