03 Tahoe catalyst monitor not ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delta_Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Z71 with the 5.3. Several months ago the battery went dead and I had to replace it. I want to sell it but I keep getting told the catalyst monitor is not ready. I have done the GM drive cycle (55 mph for 5 minutes, etc.) and driven it round trip 100 miles twice (primarily freeway, maintaining 55 mph on and off). Probably about 220 miles since I replaced the battery. Still cat monitor not ready. Techs say keep driving it / do drive cycle. No codes of any type.

Some history: My teenager was going to use this Tahoe for his daily driver. He cut the muffler off behind the cat to make it loud. Can a missing muffler reduce back pressure causing the cat monitor to not become ready? He also put in a cold air intake and took it off. I noticed the clamp where the MAP connects to the filter box was loose. Can that cause a cat monitor not ready?

Any other suggestions besides "keep driving it"? It's old and I really don't want to have to keep driving it to work, I just want to get it smogged and sell it. Thanks in advance!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have an 03 Z71 with the 5.3. Several months ago the battery went dead and I had to replace it. I want to sell it but I keep getting told the catalyst monitor is not ready. I have done the GM drive cycle (55 mph for 5 minutes, etc.) and driven it round trip 100 miles twice (primarily freeway, maintaining 55 mph on and off). Probably about 220 miles since I replaced the battery. Still cat monitor not ready. Techs say keep driving it / do drive cycle. No codes of any type.

Some history: My teenager was going to use this Tahoe for his daily driver. He cut the muffler off behind the cat to make it loud. Can a missing muffler reduce back pressure causing the cat monitor to not become ready? He also put in a cold air intake and took it off. I noticed the clamp where the MAP connects to the filter box was loose. Can that cause a cat monitor not ready?

Any other suggestions besides "keep driving it"? It's old and I really don't want to have to keep driving it to work, I just want to get it smogged and sell it. Thanks in advance!

Do you have a way to check for codes? Did your kid mess with the post cat o2 sensors when he chopped the muffler?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if he cut the pipe off close to the rear o2 sensor that could be possible.

but really, daily driving it is the only way to get it to become ready.

i reset codes a week or two ago on my 05. i dont drive it much at all, just sundays, but i took it for a road trip of a 100 miles or so each way to take my friend to pa to buy a hellcat charger. i checked if my pcm was all ready yet when i got home and my evap is still "not ready". thats 200 miles at 80 mph both ways. and i got gas so the level dropped pretty good. thats one of the things the evap test looks for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157