02 Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dshell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 02 Yukon has 230,000 with a fluid change at 100,000 and nothing else. For those who suffered transmission issues was it a slow death or a stop in your tracks event. My transmission is very smooth with zero problems but with all the transmission troubles I read about I hesitate at times taking this truck on long trips

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how it has been treated, I broke mine a few times by just pressing the gas pedal harder/faster, learned to not do that so much lol tends to hurt the bank account.
but seriously if you have good driving habits it should be fine, regular service helps a lot I have mine serviced annually

OP
OP
D

Dshell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depends on how it has been treated, I broke mine a few times by just pressing the gas pedal harder/faster, learned to not do that so much lol tends to hurt the bank account.
but seriously if you have good driving habits it should be fine, regular service helps a lot I have mine serviced annually
I drive like a pop pop but when it failed could you limp home or tow truck ?

Lancem

Reaction score
Every time I've had one fail it's be the 3-4 clutch pack go out, first indications is a lot of particles coming off of the dipstick, clutch lining, then usually slipping 3-4 shift, then finally no 3rd 4th gear. I've always made it home, last time was a long 60 miles from town to home at 30 mph or so but we got home.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive like a pop pop but when it failed could you limp home or tow truck ?
EH, generally in my case I broke them like no one has ever seen before, 3 times it was from excessive acceleration and I just snapped it in half inside basically, a couple other times it just broke and I was able to limp it a block or two, and once or twice I was able to make it home with some terrible noises going on the whole way.
in all cases it happened in town, never on a road trip, drove it across about 1/3 of the country, if yours has been trouble free I wouldn't worry to much about it my case is rather extreme I would say probably less than 1% of people have driven like I have.