01 radio cage to 05 cage? Please help Lost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, i know there are some threads on this, but i cant seem to find any with pictures of the cage installed. Im trying to put a 05 radio cage in my brothers 01 silverado. (i know not tahoe/yukon, but its related)

I got the 01 cage out, went to put in the 05 cage and it doesnt go in flush with the mounts? Is it not suppose to? Also, the a/c doesnt fit either. Its as if the a/c is too wide for the cage. I followed one thread i found on here from last year, about trimming the a/c knobs on the back off, but now the a/c is way inside the cage. Huge gap from that and the radio. Meaning, the radio is infront and the a/c is about a 1" or so behind the radio. (make sense? sort of) He has a double din, pioneer in it right now. Also, in the lower left corner, towards the drivers side, its hitting the a/c, even with it out, its not mounting right do to something in that corner. I have already trimmed that corner where the factory piece went.

Maybe i should get some pics up for you guys. To show what im talking about.

If someone has a thread saved, w/ pictures, would be greatly appreciated. I have found this easy mod, not easy at all. Thought it was just pull cage out, put newer cage in and mount radio and done... Not so much.

again all help is beyond appreciated..

(if this doesnt make sense let me know, i'll try to reword it, my brain works faster than i can type)

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i will tell you i have no idea what you are talking about, whats a cage?

Lol..... cant find the thread, but heres a site cardomain, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/825435/3 Go down to about the 8th picture down and you'll see a black "cage" thing. That is what holds the radio and a/c controls to the dash.

But has anyone done this? Ive been searching, but cant find anything that helps me out.

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did mine by just using sand paper and a dremel on the bezel.
i took little of jk's method and Nickleahy23's method...

i dont have the links infront of me at the moment but just use the search.
but you dont HAVE to change the cage nor the bezel

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did mine by just using sand paper and a dremel on the bezel.
i took little of jk's method and Nickleahy23's method...

i dont have the links infront of me at the moment but just use the search.
but you dont HAVE to change the cage nor the bezel

yeah i know, but he said he dont want to cut it up. IDK why not? Makes things easier. Might resort to that, have to cut the bezel anyway for the a/c to fit right.

I wasnt searching for the 01 stuff, only changing cage and bezel, but never ran into thier threads. I'll search thiers and see what i can find. It in right now, looks fine, just dont fit right. Cage doesnt go in flush w/ like the old one did.

thanks man

onedeadpresident

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your swapping to an 05 cage than you will have to use the new ac contols and the dash/instrument shroud will also need to be swapped to a new model. Radio casges for the 99-2002 and 2003-2006 are easy if you swap the ac contols and surround all at the same time

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your swapping to an 05 cage than you will have to use the new ac contols and the dash/instrument shroud will also need to be swapped to a new model. Radio casges for the 99-2002 and 2003-2006 are easy if you swap the ac contols and surround all at the same time

that was my other thought, can the a/c controls out of the 03 up be used also. I haven't tried yet? I thought the plugs on the back were different? I know my digital a/c on my 05 wont fit his 01 silverado, completely different plugs.
Already put cage and dash bezel in. See above

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do all of this, but in the end, it still doesn't fit quite like the original 03+ would, or at least I haven't seen one. All of the one's I've seen still look a little wonky and I think you lose use of the ashtray and cigarette lighter/12V plugs. I'd check out JK's sticky in the 00-06 audio forum. Yes, you'd have to cut it, but with a little ABS plastic, it comes out looking pretty good. I actually did this on mine with good results.

Another option I've seen done is to cut the 01 bezel hole large enough to fit the DD radio and use body filler to fill in the sides and round the edges. After that, sand the body filler smooth to fit around the radio perfectly, prime it and paint using some interior texture paint, and it looks like factory. I think I remember a thread on either here or Performance Trucks where I guy did this and it looked better than anything else I've seen in regards to this mod.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

If you're dead set on doing it this way, here's a pretty good write up I found on here.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5807&highlight=bezel

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do all of this, but in the end, it still doesn't fit quite like the original 03+ would, or at least I haven't seen one. All of the one's I've seen still look a little wonky and I think you lose use of the ashtray and cigarette lighter/12V plugs. I'd check out JK's sticky in the 00-06 audio forum. Yes, you'd have to cut it, but with a little ABS plastic, it comes out looking pretty good. I actually did this on mine with good results.

Another option I've seen done is to cut the 01 bezel hole large enough to fit the DD radio and use body filler to fill in the sides and round the edges. After that, sand the body filler smooth to fit around the radio perfectly, prime it and paint using some interior texture paint, and it looks like factory. I think I remember a thread on either here or Performance Trucks where I guy did this and it looked better than anything else I've seen in regards to this mod.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

If you're dead set on doing it this way, here's a pretty good write up I found on here.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5807&highlight=bezel

Ok, well to the post above, NOPE, the newer a/c do not work, wiring is different and plugs.

Bigtap, yeah he lost the ashtray sort of, it comes out, just cant put back in all way unless you pull the bottom of the bezel out. He likes the bezel, but to me, if i do a job, i like to take pride in it and have it look good. So i may end up cutting it and putting in and see what he says. I searched leachy's thread and found a pic of his and it looks awesome. Alot better than what his looks like now. But the only thing that im kind of leary on is the cutting and sanding and all that. Im not to confident on that. But i may try it, worse is, do it all over again.

Do you have any pics of yours?

Yeah i saw that link, thats the one i went off. But my cage doesnt go in at all like that one, that one looks flush, mine isnt. His a/c is flush, mine isnt, even cut that tabs off the back, all that did was push the a/c way in the dash and have the radio up about a inch further forward than the a/c. But dont know... thanks for looking for me though.. apprecaite it.

also, thanks for saying jk's was a sticky. I completly looked right over that...:emotions122:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcraddick11

Latest posts