Yukon XL Option Must Haves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommyb80

Reaction score
Probably will be in the market for a pre-owned Yukon XL in the next few months. I've been a Ford guy all my life so don't know much about these trucks. What options do you guys consider to be must haves? I'd like the 6.2 and leather, that's pretty much it. So what are your guys must haves in your XL?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an SLE with 6-speed. Most will tell you to get the 10-speed, if it's in the year that you are looking at.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait! If you've been a ford guy, why do you have so many posts here? For "friends?"

OP
OP
Tommyb80

Tommyb80

Reaction score
I've been looking at these vehicles for a little while now. Not for my "friends." Sorry to disappoint. I didn't realize 39 posts was considered a lot.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious since you've been a Ford guy, why are you thinking of switching? Did/do you own an Expedition? Did something go wrong with it?

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
I had an XL for 11 years when my kids were young - traded it for a Jeep Grand Cherokee - BIG mistake - now back to GMC with a Yukon (SWB). I'm not a bells and whistle person, but my option must haves are leather and in radio navigation (other option is OnStar nav which requires a subscription). Now that I am older, my heated steering wheel is the thing I love most on my new to me vehicle. Not a fan of sunroofs so this time I purposely looked for one without, no longer need DVD screens but they were a lifesaver when the kids were young. For this vehicle I wanted a bench for the 2nd row, but when the kids were younger I wanted Captains chairs in the XL - allowed for separation of the 3 kids. I avoided a Denali - I hate the front grill - and did not want to be stuck to premium gas. I had a 2003 SLT XL and now have a 16 SLT. Wheel size, engine size - that's all personal preference and any of them make the Yukon a great vehicle.

OP
OP
Tommyb80

Tommyb80

Reaction score
I know man. Just giving it back! LOL

GTN, a few years ago my wife and her parents took a trip to Florida so we had to rent an SUV for us and our luggage. We rented a Suburban and I really liked it. The following year we went again and rented an Expedition. To be very honest, I felt the Suburban was a much nicer ride, better dash layout, more comfortable seating, the 5.3 was a lot nicer than the Ecoboost, I could go on. I did own an Expedition in '98 and it was a nice truck, but I just think the Yukon XL's are so much nicer.

I am a full time teacher now and will be obtaining my real estate license pretty soon, so am interested in an SUV to take clients out to look at homes. I don't think my F350 with a larger turbo, loud exhaust, etc. will be a good vehicle for that. So wife will be getting the XL and I'll drive it when I need to take clients around. We will be expanding our family hopefully soon so car seats, kid stuff, and our 94lb Weim/Lab mix will be plenty comfortable in the XL.

I appreciate all the responses.