New Yukon XL question on engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have been shopping for a new Yukon XL for my wife. Interested in either Denali or SLT with preferred package. Coming from an 18 Escalade ESV. My main concern is seeing lots of issues on 6.2’s. Even found a pre owned Denali we were interested in and while scrolling the Carfax saw a new engine was put in around 20k miles. My wife doesn’t care about the power, so am wondering how much replacements you’re seeing on 5.3’s? I know they have lifter issues, but see way less posts about them. The diesel wouldn’t fit our application, so trying to decide between Denali or SLT with 5.3. Ignoring power and mpgs, is the 5.3 a little more reliable?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main concern is seeing lots of issues on 6.2Ls.
Even found a pre owned Denali we were interested in and while scrolling the Carfax saw a new engine was put in around 20k miles.
My wife doesn’t care about the power, so am wondering how much replacements you’re seeing on 5.3Ls?
I know they have lifter issues, but see way less posts about them.
The diesel wouldn’t fit our application, so trying to decide between Denali or SLT with 5.3L.
Ignoring power and MpGs, is the 5.3L a little more reliable?
Probably not, or not by much.

Let's say a bubba and a fatbottom sklayed drive the exact same route, with the exact same conservative driving behavior, for argument's sake.
The Escalade's 6.2L will use fewer cylinders more often than the bubba's 5.3L.
Put another way, the 5.3L will need to work harder / use more cylinders more often.

So, if the 5.3L engines are not yet having as many problems, they may be, soon.
Long story short: disable cylinder deactivation at your very first opportunity.

Last edited:

15burban

Reaction score
A family member has a 21 yukon they bought new with the 5.3 that needed cam and lifters done around 30k. Which ever one you go with I'd just leave some money aside for a rainy day. Not saying it's going to happen but better to be safe then sorry. Or try finding a dealership that offers lifetime power train warranties. That saved the wife and I $6k on her last suv when the trans went out.

bcupp4086

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have 2023 Yukon Denali that just had lifters go out at only 4k miles. Last GM vehicle I'll ever buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan