Won't move and brake light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyrone27

Reaction score
I have a 93 suburban and I heard something pop now the truck won't move and the emergency brake light is on. I can put it in reverse and drive and each gear but nothing. It's like the transmission won't engage.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say there was a pop and the emergency brake light is on...can you apply and release the emergency brake? Sounds like something " like a spring" came loose or broke. Pull the brake drums and check things out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

revolt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hope that is just minor like loosen or broken spring that makes the emergency brake engage.

OP
OP
T

tyrone27

Reaction score
No the emergency brake is fine just the light came on and won't go off when I was raving the motor. It was never applied. But the transmission won't engage into drive to move.

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pulling out on the emergency brake release and hold it out while pulling up on the e brake lever with your other hand and see if the light goes out. If not, it may need some adjusting or you have issues at the rear. As for the trans not engaging...do you " feel " it engage each gear when you move the gear shift, or is it just a smooth movement...not feeling each notch for the gears?

OP
OP
T

tyrone27

Reaction score
The shift handle feels normal but it doesn't engage any gear in the transmission. I noticed the I had a exhaust leak when I brought it but it's been reported. But I was looking under the left side and saw the plastic loom was melted but the wires look ok.

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there might be an issue with the shifter linkage, thats why i asked. I would just inspect the e brake, shift linkage etc.

OP
OP
T

tyrone27

Reaction score
Everything looks good so I'm thinking it's a wiring problem so going to have to tow it to a shop

OP
OP
T

tyrone27

Reaction score
It's the transmission. Previous owner lied. It was never rebuilt and the pump went up

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemilioflores89