Wireless Charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twithers

Reaction score
In the new Tahoe's, they added wireless charging to the top of the center console armrest/storage door.

I have an '04 that has the cubby thing on top of the console armrest that's good for holding a phone (The black part in the picture). Has anyone added wireless charging to that surface, so you could just put your phone in there and you're phone would charge.

I haven't found anything already produced online, so I figure it would be a matter of a charging coil or coils added to the inside of the armrest door, on the opposite side of that surface. If that makes sense. The surface on mine is stippled, which wouldn't help with charging because it increases the distance between the charging coil and the phone, but maybe there are coils that can handle that.

Maybe I'm nukin' it, but it seems pretty straightforward.E7BFE57E-2353-46A9-9A62-89138C078379.jpeg

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
In the new Tahoe's, they added wireless charging to the top of the center console armrest/storage door.

I have an '04 that has the cubby thing on top of the console armrest that's good for holding a phone (The black part in the picture). Has anyone added wireless charging to that surface, so you could just put your phone in there and you're phone would charge.

I haven't found anything already produced online, so I figure it would be a matter of a charging coil or coils added to the inside of the armrest door, on the opposite side of that surface. If that makes sense. The surface on mine is stippled, which wouldn't help with charging because it increases the distance between the charging coil and the phone, but maybe there are coils that can handle that.

Maybe I'm nukin' it, but it seems pretty straightforward.View attachment 362456

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That system from Boost Auto does look to be a great upgrade... On my list, but only after I make another try in buying a clone Tec2 scan tool.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my problem with most of these kits is that your phone has to be pretty well aligned with those charging coils to work properly for wireless charging. I'm wondering if there's a way to put in multiple coils or a much larger coil mat. There's no way in hail my phone is going to sit exactly in the center of that mat, even with very sedate driving around down. Only if I'm on the highway driving at a constant speed in a straight line. And then, hell, I don't need wireless, I could just plug in if it's going to sit there without moving all the time.

I want a big **** charging mat I can let my phone slide all over when cornering, wearing in and out of traffic, slamming on the brakes to avoid running over dogs, kittens, children and rollerskate cars, etc.

OP
OP
T

Twithers

Reaction score
Just ordered the Boost kit. Exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks!

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent an hour or more doing some research, I think I'm gonna try to figure out a way to put multiple 3-coil or even multiple 5-coil inductive charging setups inside my armrest lid. Then I can convert the whole armrest into a charging pad to charge 2 or more phones at a time, hardwired into the vehicle's electrical system.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You certainly can try to engineer a custom set-up, but the unit from Boost Audio is a triple coil unit already.

The charging area on the Boost Audio unit is anywhere on the pad that does not have the little raised ridges sticking up. You can see the active charging zone in the product photos is really pretty big!

May be worth a second look...

I haven't ordered one for myself yet (I had a few urgent repairs get to do first). But, it does look like a really nice unit.

If still slip-sliding away, maybe some Gecko gripper pad might work to keep things from shifting around.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't consider that very big, it's just the size of the phone itself, is all, and right in the center. You could likely fit 4 of those triple-coil mats underneath and have the entire area active. Just need a controller that will work for all 4 - or do 4 independently-wired charging mats, I'm just not certain they would work in tandem - although it wouldn't matter, as your phone would switch from one to the other as it moves around.

That's my thought, anyways.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have managed to find a manufacturer of large multi-coil solutions for this area that seem as if they would work very well. I have made an inquiry so I might obtain a couple of units for testing, if it works out well, who knows, I might be able to start my own little side business? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n