ice trip; had some issues (oil pressure / charging)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Love the tracks on the full size. Did you add 2x or 3x glass for the windows on the trailer/beer cooler? It looks like a hell of a good time.

Those battery cables and low temps. There’s thread after thread about cables that look ok, but corroded internally and cause low voltage as well as the by product of false DTC.

Start with the -/+ battery cable replacement. If the low oil pressure persists, as stated, replace with only a new GM / AC Delco sender. If no go after that it’s manual oil pressure Ck time & o-ring time.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ I was just going to say the same thing.. these trucks do electrical things that defi logic and in thread after thread it's the cables and or that ground on the front drivers side head. one guy found a ground wire that about 3in back in the harness was eat half way thru. everything looked good outside but inside isn't, that was a year of searching. I can't explain it. but post after post.

the alt is a odd one.. these are ecm controlled alternators but even if they lose all signal from the ecm they default to 13.7 ish. so to just shut off and come back.. don't know. but a low mileage 220amp take off on ebay can be had for around 150$. so it's worth while upgrade even if it doesn't fix it.

for the rest, you're probably right. Intermittent issues are always the worst.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There’s also a phenomenon with some AGM battery where the posts are just a hair smaller than the battery cable can clamp down on. It overheats the battery, terminal and causes intermittent no starts. The temporary solution is a parts store lead battery post cap that slides over the post.

I had to cut up one of those lead caps and slide a piece of it between the post and cable connector once just to get home. The lead cap was too big for the battery cable to fit over but too loose without it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine comes with quick connect battery terminals from the factory. you can only imagine the number of threads about hybrids and electrical stuff that ends if being loose battery cables that no one expects. I've seen threads of dealers running up huge bills, hybrid packs being replaced. all over a silly terminal that was used because if you need to park the truck for a month or longer the owners manual says to take a battery cable off so you don't run the hybrid pack dead.

I tell everyone, if you can move a terminal on these trucks with 2 hands and all your force, it's to loose. they gotta be what is almost over tight haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz