Wireing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay let me start with, I don't have much experience doing electrical work on anything. I have a buddy that knows some, but I want to know as much as possible.

I've got a couple speaker boxes set up at home, now I want to add one of them to my yukon, I've got a sony deck (4X52W) and I've got Kicker K-40's up front, and stocks in the back, how could I wire up one of these boxes (extra 2 speakers)

Now one of my friends have told me about doing a crossover, how would I go about any of these, or does anyone have better/easier methods?

These boxes were both installed in my previous car before it died, I didn't install them, but now want to use them.

WH0DAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do these boxes have in them? Subs? 6x9s? Thats the first quesiton to start with so we can see what you will need.

OP
OP
D

Davyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they are sixes (they only have a positive negative connection on each side, one is a little older)

WH0DAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 1/2" speakers or woofers? If you are just adding some boxes with 2 way speakers in it I would forget it. It wont give you much for the work you will put into running wire. If you are adding a sub (8" or above) then it will give you some more low end. You then would have to add an amp and wire to the battery with at least 8 guage wire. Then run RCA cables from the head unit to the amp.

OP
OP
D

Davyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked they are just 2way speakers I believe.
And you don't think it would be worth putting them in?

WH0DAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. I would just make sure that the speakers in the dash and rear were upgraded to good quality ones. Whatever you brand choice is. If you havent replaced the ones in the dash then I would replace them with some good plate style ones like the Infinity 462.9 cfp. With a good quality deck and speakers I would then add a sub and amp. You dont have to go really big here. There is a lot of area in a Tahoe but if you want just a little more low end adding at least an 8" woofer would do a lot. I would recommend at least 1 10" woofer. The amplifier will have a built in crossover so you dont have to worry about that. Buy an amplifier install wire kit with at least 8 guage wire and hook it up. A good quality amp for 1 10" in a solid well made box will make a world of difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missymom68