Why is my 2015 not flex fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you have the 6.2 L86? The 5.3 L83 is a Flex Fuel engine and has been since its introduction in 2014. If it were to lose the Flex Fuel capability, GM would assign a new name to the engine just as they did with the Gen IV engines when they got Flex Fuel.

Which RPO codes do you have?

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I wouldn't put that Flex Fuel shit in there if it isn't designed for it. Funny thing is my 08 impala and 12 impala were set up for E85, but around here we just started seeing it only a couple of years ago and only at Sheetz, because they have the dispensing equipment. I ran it with no problems except that you get crappy mileage. I wont run that shit in my Hoe. I don't think there is much of a savings when you factor in the mileage difference. just my 2 cents

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put that Flex Fuel shit in there if it isn't designed for it. Funny thing is my 08 impala and 12 impala were set up for E85, but around here we just started seeing it only a couple of years ago and only at Sheetz, because they have the dispensing equipment. I ran it with no problems except that you get crappy mileage. I wont run that shit in my Hoe. I don't think there is much of a savings when you factor in the mileage difference. just my 2 cents

But when the hurricane comes and they run out of regular gas, you won't care if the mileage is worse! You'll be the only one filling up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine says it on my build sheet in the RPO codes, too. Mine is L59.

Same here (RPO L59) on my '04 Hoe. It has a black gas cap that may or may not have been changed -- it's not tethered -- and there is a small B&W sticker on the inside of the fuel door showing that E85 is OK. No badging on the tailgate or anywhere else I've seen. Also, the 8th character of my vin is "Z", which I think is an indicator of being E85 compatible. The emissions testers are notorious for failing gas caps so a lot of them get changed just to pass, and who's going to look for a yellow replacement cap?

E85 causes hard cold starting, and to be even a wash the price difference would have to be pretty large because of the lower gas mileage. I almost never run 100% E85 for those reasons, especially in cold weather. The only place I've found it here is at Western gas stations, so it's not all that readily available.

coder

Reaction score
But when the hurricane comes and they run out of regular gas, you won't care if the mileage is worse! You'll be the only one filling up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw pics of diesel trucks having zero problems tanking up! :)