Who knows car alarms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my alarm it's a prestige 2 way I had it about 4 years and the last yr or so it's been going off at random and or telling me the door is open I've checked the door jamb switches my friend told me the brain might be toast

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many alarms, like my viper alarm have an LED which will flash a number of times dependent upon which feature-area of the alarm has caused it to activate after the alarm has been triggered

I think most alarms have the various sensors that plug into the main alarm unit.
And virtually all modern alarms have adjustability of the various sensors on board.

Another characteristic which can often cause an alarm to trigger is low battery voltage. There's usually a threshold voltage in which once voltage reaches that certain point the alarm will trigger, and I've experienced this myself, where the darn thing will not shut off.

I think manufacturers add such a feature to an alarm, with the thought that somebody is draining the battery to disable the alarm, and thus steal the vehicle.
Mark

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find out if you have a hood switch tied in with the door triggers. Also, if all four doors were diode isolated when originally wired up, then that could be your problem. A diode is basically a one way valve for electricity . Sometimes the BCM can back feed very small amounts of current for just a second or even less. But that's enough to trigger the alarm. If the door pins are diodes isolated, they will only read the side of the wire between the diode and the actual door actual door pin switch. If they are in fact diode isolated already, you may have a bad door pin. On the 95-99 Tahoes, those front door pin switches in the sides of the dash are notorious for going bad.

OP
OP
blue99tahoe24

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
Aw ok I've changed the passenger side door switch already but the driver side door pin they kinda made there own door pin switch I'm tryna see if I should take it back to the shop that did it but that guy was a ******* and I really don't wanna deal with him thinking about going to get a new one installed and they didn't install the hood pin switch

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aw ok I've changed the passenger side door switch already but the driver side door pin they kinda made there own door pin switch I'm tryna see if I should take it back to the shop that did it but that guy was a ******* and I really don't wanna deal with him thinking about going to get a new one installed and they didn't install the hood pin switch

Hi, Don't understand why a shop would "make their own" door switch, that if you at one time had a faulty driver's door switch you simply replace it with a brand new factory part.

Perhaps this is your issue? Are interior lights properly coming on when any door is opened?

I had my driver's door switch go about 3 months back, no matter what door (4dr) you opened, interior lights would not come on. Thus the alarm would not trigger.

$11 at the chevy dealer, and 5 minute's time, the alarm shop owner had the new switch swapped in, and all was well on mine.
Mark

OP
OP
blue99tahoe24

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
That's what I didn't understand I didn't pay attention to it at first but it's like a hood pin switch on a metal bracket the screwed right above fuse box

But when I was testing it one day i had the door closed and I was looking at the interior light and bumping the driver door and the light was goin on and off?

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I didn't understand I didn't pay attention to it at first but it's like a hood pin switch on a metal bracket the screwed right above fuse box

But when I was testing it one day i had the door closed and I was looking at the interior light and bumping the driver door and the light was goin on and off?

Did they butcher your dash with this makeshift switch?

If not, then a factory switch can be re-installed no prob.

Unless they also butchered off the connector plug that goes to the stock factory door switch. This monkey switch might very well be your problem.

Also, this Alarm should've had a Hood Switch? Sounds like some corners were cut in my eyes. For ages now basically every alarm, no matter how "bottom of the line" commonly has this feature.

Without such, if the hood is popped, the alarm of course doesn't trip, and once under the hood, battery cables snipped-disconnected, and thus no alarm tripping when doors opened, etc.

If you get no joy from either self fixing this issue, or this shop, then it sounds like you have little choice to have another installed. If it comes to that, make sure the new shop removes all remnants of the old alarm first.

That's what I had done when my Clifford Concept 20 POS alarm sared failing, blowing fuses, the Viper Dealer took it all out first. Was amazing just how much "crap" there was.

The Viper 5701 2-way with remote start I have now works very well. The remote start has about a 2000' range, which I don't doubt! Wasn't cheap, at about $525, but I'm happy with it, and found a superb dealer here that installed and did a perfect installation. I'm going to add a tilt sensor soon.

GPS can be added to mine ($300 Option), through cell phone, I can monitor the vehicle anywhere in the world, see where it's at, know when he alarm has been triggered, etc.
Mark
Mark

Mark

OP
OP
blue99tahoe24

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
I'm not sure I think they might have cut the connector off I'll check it out and post pics of what these guys did the drilled holes in it so it's 4 screw holes in the dash.

I'm almost scared to take it to another shop cause of the f******* job these guys did and I called the guy when this first started happening and I told him and he had this snotty attitude so I never took it back I also read his reviews and he messed some ones $500 viper system all up

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

I got the viper 5904 on my camaro and I love it I might just go with the same on my truck wife likes when you turn the key and the doors lock she hates that my truck doesn't do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPKennny