Where are the ground points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't solved this yet and did what I did (which was park my truck), well, I lived your nightmare for the past 5 years or so. Took the vehicle to a Michigan dealer as well and they kept replacing expensive part after expensive part and ultimately, I was $4,000 in before they claimed it was a wire harness with bent pins that then also had to be replaced. This worked for about two years and everything started happening again. I took it to other local mechanics (including one that had the TSB) - everyone gave up and my Yukon was parked for the past 3 years with only some short drives here and there.

But I fixed my problem! I'm now up to 1700 miles without an issue and as you'll see from my other thread, I have very little experience working on vehicles, but do a ton of research, watch a lot of videos, and wholeheartedly listen to the great people here.

I kinda went slow with things...cleaned up a ground here, a ground there - some were a mess and needed it. But, none of those fixed my problem. It wasn't until I replaced the negative battery cable (that comes from the battery) that fixed all of my issues. While I was at it, I also replaced the positive battery cable that goes to the under hood fuse block as well.

Please take the advice from everyone else here before me...I'm just a rookie at this, but I was able to solve my problem on this one.

If you decide to do this, I'll dig up some of the videos that I used - there is one hard reach, but other than that, it was just basic tools.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

jerwilso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

If you haven't solved this yet and did what I did (which was park my truck), well, I lived your nightmare for the past 5 years or so. Took the vehicle to a Michigan dealer as well and they kept replacing expensive part after expensive part and ultimately, I was $4,000 in before they claimed it was a wire harness with bent pins that then also had to be replaced. This worked for about two years and everything started happening again. I took it to other local mechanics (including one that had the TSB) - everyone gave up and my Yukon was parked for the past 3 years with only some short drives here and there.

But I fixed my problem! I'm now up to 1700 miles without an issue and as you'll see from my other thread, I have very little experience working on vehicles, but do a ton of research, watch a lot of videos, and wholeheartedly listen to the great people here.

I kinda went slow with things...cleaned up a ground here, a ground there - some were a mess and needed it. But, none of those fixed my problem. It wasn't until I replaced the negative battery cable (that comes from the battery) that fixed all of my issues. While I was at it, I also replaced the positive battery cable that goes to the under hood fuse block as well.

Please take the advice from everyone else here before me...I'm just a rookie at this, but I was able to solve my problem on this one.

If you decide to do this, I'll dig up some of the videos that I used - there is one hard reach, but other than that, it was just basic tools.

Best of luck!
Hey. I changed my negative ground cable, cleaned the grounds behind both wheels. My problems seemed to get worse. What else did you do and can you post your videos that helped your issue. This is killing me.
Thanks for your help.

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. I changed my negative ground cable, cleaned the grounds behind both wheels. My problems seemed to get worse. What else did you do and can you post your videos that helped your issue. This is killing me.
Thanks for your help.
So, here are my recommendations that ultimately got me out of this. Please note that my truck is a 2010 and it looks like you have a 2015. I definitely don't know enough about the differences as you have some grounds that are different, but everything you are saying leads me to think it is definitely a ground issue. My truck started having issues in year 7.

Remember, these are from 2010:
1. Start here and don't skip this step. Make sure your battery is in good shape - have it tested (sounds like you already did this. Be 100% sure.
2. Clean up the terminal contact points, cable contacts at the battery including the 175 mega fuse.
3. You've already replaced the negative cable Make sure you not only reattached that hard to reach ground behind the bumper, but that you clean up the contact points. I peeled back the wheel shroud and reached through to get to that ground. You can't actually see it - you have to do it blind and then confirm with your phone camera (not sure if the 2015 has the same ground location.
4. There are two grounds on the frame below the driver's seat - very easy to access - you hardly have to get under the vehicle. Sounds like you have one on each side.
5. There is a ground strap that goes from the firewall to behind the engine. Inspect that strap. You cannot really access the point behind the engine. If that strap looks to be in bad shape, you will need to create a new ground for it. I haven't gotten here yet, but will when I do big 3/4. Sounds like you've looked at this one already.
6. There is also the positive battery cable that goes from the battery to the under hood fuse block on the driver's side. I've heard of people having issues with this cable although my issues don't seem to be from here. It's an easy cable to access. I'd pull that cable, check the contact points at the fuse block (also easy to remove, clean and reseat). I have not yet replaced the cable, but if I was still having issues after everything else, I'd go there. I had already purchased the new cable and a new fuse block out of frustration on these issues and was going to do a full swap of everything until that negative cable solved my issues. I did unhook, cleaned up and reseated the cable and fuse block.
7. I've been applying a thin layer of dielectric grease at each location I've been cleaning up
8. There are some additional grounds up front in and around the dash/pillars, but I have not gotten here yet.
9. I've learned that part of routine vehicle maintenance for this truck is making sure the grounds are in good shape

This was one of the most helpful videos for me (but may be your next step) but keep in mind it fit my truck.

Let me know if I can help further.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts