Where are the ground points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Watch this:
So I my daughter lives in a different state. I did the work while we were out visiting. Initially I thought removing the dash panel would have been a lot more extensive but this video proves otherwise.

Just got home so I didn’t have a chance to go after this particular ground point. I forwarded this video to my son in law and told him if it happens again, take it to a dealer and tell them what to do. In my mind, that could possibly be the entire fix and could possibly avoid spending a lot of time and money doing more extensive diagnosis, especially since two different dealers in two different states couldn’t figure it out.

Thanks for the video!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On both sides, there was a small nut welded on; the bolts were not self tapping. This is on a 2015 Tahoe so maybe that’s why it’s different from a Silverado or a Sierra. Similar but different.
There is a ground on the driver side? Or are you referring to the grounds at the windshield where there is a stud?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I my daughter lives in a different state. I did the work while we were out visiting. Initially I thought removing the dash panel would have been a lot more extensive but this video proves otherwise.

Just got home so I didn’t have a chance to go after this particular ground point. I forwarded this video to my son in law and told him if it happens again, take it to a dealer and tell them what to do. In my mind, that could possibly be the entire fix and could possibly avoid spending a lot of time and money doing more extensive diagnosis, especially since two different dealers in two different states couldn’t figure it out.

Thanks for the video!

There is a TSB for this concern relating to G218 labeled TSB 18-NA-161. The dealer can reference this TSB for their diagnosis.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
There is a TSB for this concern relating to G218 labeled TSB 18-NA-161. The dealer can reference this TSB for their diagnosis.
Good to know! Thanks!

Makes me wonder why two different dealers didn’t know to check for a TSB…

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! Thanks!

Makes me wonder why two different dealers didn’t know to check for a TSB…
When I had electrical issues myself 3 and a half years ago there was a lot of discussion regarding this TSB. I never checked my 2019 for this grounding issue and since resolution obviously this area was not the fault, however my symptoms were not as was described for issues relating to G218 - however YOUR symptoms are identical to issues that most commonly arose when this G218 was problematic.

There was also discrepancies regarding what years, makes, and models were covered under the TSB. I recall some people with this issue stating that their vehicle wasn't listed as having this TSB apply to them but the issue was still present. By now though it's possible that the TSB was updated to include a wider range of makes, models, and years - I don't know.

And dealerships are wary to investigate a TSB that doesn't tell them that your vehicle qualifies!

However this issue generally pertained to early production Silverados 2014-2015 I believe, and your Tahoe falls right in line, however doesn't come from the same factory - so I don't know, but it's worth an investigation as I said, your symptoms align perfectly with this grounding issue at G218.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the frame grounds - one behind each front wheel

I wasn't aware that there was one on the driver side. I'll check it out in the future. I was only aware of the main ground to the battery which is on the passenger side front.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB 20-NA-212

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183210-9999.pdf

This TSB was created after the problems I experienced which don't exactly relate to the symptoms they have listed but are close. In my circumstance the engine computer was replaced but the passenger side ground was said to be caked in undercoating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Well, the work I did didn’t work. My son in law said it started doing it again. Ugh. Sounds like another trip to the dealership with the TSB’s in hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts