Where are the ground points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjaaam

Reaction score
I’ve searched this forum and also the wider internet but I haven’t found anything that just explicitly says it: where are the ground points on vehicles of this generation?

I’m working on a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with strange electrical problems. Taking advice from @Tahoe14 I’m replacing the battery (it’s close to three years old) and was wanting to inspect/clean/tighten any grounding points.

I found the one on the driver’s side firewall that has a ground strap, so I got some sandpaper and cleaned it up really well.

But where are the other ones?

Thanks in advance!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery is just one of the issues we have seen and the battery life is usually 3-5 years depending on the climate you live in, that’s why I was asking about the age. The battery is not necessarily an item you need to replace at this time but something to consider, don’t want you just throwing money at it. The battery cables are also an item to look at as they can corrode on the inside and make sure they are tight at the battery and the other end, just follow them. The grounds are the other item to also look at. I will try to get you some help on the ground locations @Doubeleive, @Fless, @swathdiver.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are grounds right under the firewall and right behind both front wheels on the frame (terrible location) as they get hit with every bit of splash from the tires
there is another (bcm) ground inside the cab beside the front left speaker, you have to pull the pillar covers off and pull the front dash trim up to access it.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
The battery is just one of the issues we have seen and the battery life is usually 4-5 years depending on the climate you live in, that’s why I was asking about the age. The battery is not necessarily an item you need to replace at this time but something to consider, don’t want you just throwing money at it. The battery cables are also an item to look at as they can corrode on the inside and make sure they are tight at the battery and the other end, just follow them. The grounds are the other item to also look at. I will try to get you some help on the ground locations @Doubeleive, @Fless, @swathdiver.
Agree on not throwing money at it by changing the battery, but at least it’s something to try. Two different dealers in two different states (Michigan and Colorado) have looked at it and have not solved the problem. It might be worth a shot at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
there are grounds right under the firewall and right behind both front wheels on the frame (terrible location) as they get hit with every bit of splash from the tires
there is another (bcm) ground inside the cab beside the front left speaker, you have to pull the pillar covers off and pull the front dash trim up to access it.
How accessible are the ones on the frame? I’d be doing this in a garage and not on a lift.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Here’s a thought - what if we took it back to the dealer and asked them to inspect/clean/tighten all the ground points?

I’ve just got a bad feeling that if it’s not that - in combination with a new battery - that it’s gonna get expensive.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Working on access to the ground on the A pillar. I have the pillar cover off but it’s not obvious how the trim piece or the speaker cover comes off. Any ideas? View attachment 408838
Both pillar covers have to come off then the whole front panel that goes across the window has to lift up and off you will see the split it just has clips that hold it on, use a plastic trim tool so you don't scratch everything up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan