Where are the ground points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point of checking the one under the pillar is just a visual check mostly there was a recall on the pickups because they used too much glue right there and the ground would be bad and cause problems, the suvs are designed the same as the pickups for the most part

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Well…I put a new battery in, cleaned the two frame grounds by the front wheels, and the one for the ground strap on the firewall. The one on the frame on the passenger side was covered with grease and gunk. The one on the pillar was beyond my pay grade with trying to take that whole dash trim part up LOL.

Test drive was fine so I’m praying for the best. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Last question: should I cover the frame grounds with grease or something? I did use some sandpaper (on both the frame and the terminals) to get a good connection.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well…I put a new battery in, cleaned the two frame grounds by the front wheels, and the one for the ground strap on the firewall. The one on the frame on the passenger side was covered with grease and gunk. The one on the pillar was beyond my pay grade with trying to take that whole dash trim part up LOL.

Test drive was fine so I’m praying for the best. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Last question: should I cover the frame grounds with grease or something? I did use some sandpaper (on both the frame and the terminals) to get a good connection.
if anything i would apply some kind of rust prevention, spray on would be easiest

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you describe these electrical issues in detail?

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Can you describe these electrical issues in detail?
Please see this thread:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Just some rattle can paint, or Fluid Film from time to time. Do the front side where the threads poke through the mount. One of my bolt holes there was stripped and I had to nut it.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some rattle can paint, or Fluid Film from time to time. Do the front side where the threads poke through the mount. One of my bolt holes there was stripped and I had to nut it.
I didn't think that the frame mount grounding location at the passenger side front was accessible from the back. I agree that, you have to be very careful tightening any of those self-tapping frame bolts. It just doesn't seem like there's a lot of meat for the threads to bite in to, this applies to skid plates as well which also use self tapping fasteners into the frame.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
I didn't think that the frame mount grounding location at the passenger side front was accessible from the back. I agree that, you have to be very careful tightening any of those self-tapping frame bolts. It just doesn't seem like there's a lot of meat for the threads to bite in to, this applies to skid plates as well which also use self tapping fasteners into the frame.
On both sides, there was a small nut welded on; the bolts were not self tapping. This is on a 2015 Tahoe so maybe that’s why it’s different from a Silverado or a Sierra. Similar but different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
I used Fluid Film

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar