When replacing magneride strut, do you need to replace full assembly or just the cylinder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobsaget

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am trying to replace/repair my magneride struts on a 2015 Yukon. The only OEM struts I can find are unloaded, and do not come with the full assembly (coil, etc.).

Can the auto shop replace the cylinder in the strut and use my existing other parts, or does the whole thing need to be replaced?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can replace only the shock portion itself, and re-use the rest of the parts that make up the strut assembly.

ss4chad

Reaction score
I'm surprised you can find a shop that will split those apart. Much easier to just replace the shuck/strut assy than to switch parts. Takes about about an hour to do the job, that includes jacking the truck up, removing the wheels, R&R the strut assy and installing the wheels and taking it off the jacks.
Did you try the Arnot Website to find your struts?

Chad

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most shops with a heavy duty press/spring compressor can dissemble/re-assemble the strut with ease, and for the right money, will do it for you. Of course, if you go that route, it should not cost much more money to have them do the full job (since they will be basically doing that anyway to work on the strut).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danepfalgout