2023 Tahoe High Country is gone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Tahoe has been repurchased. Kind of a sad day since my wife and kids loved the vehicle. We've never owned a vehicle where 4 kids can sprawl out with Bluetooth headphones while charging their tablets while watching their the Roku on a 12 hour road trip. But we had to accept that this truck is trash or built at least was built like trash. I'm not bashing the all of them. But clearly even the dealership agreed this vehicle is lemon. It didn't help that I worked with a dealership that refused to even WANT to try fixing the truck. My history is as follows:

Buy the vehicle: (ISSUE 1 & 2) seat frame moves when stopping and going, passenger side running board doesn't work (this will become the root issue later in the story). Got these fixed but I had to fight with the dealership for weeks to get them to agree that the seat frame ISN'T supposed move.

2 weeks later: ( ISSUE 3) third row AC actuator stops working. Click sounds from third row AC verifies. Part on order 3 weeks out.

1 month later: (ISSUE 4) drivers side seat AC seat blower making a squealing noise. Gets replaced within a few days along with the third row HVAC actuator.

2 weeks later: (ISSUE 5) wind noise rattle from roof dash area. Turns out it's the bracket that holds the AC line through the firewall. There's a bulletin for this that states the factory "forgot" to install correctly.

3 weeks later (ISSUE 6): the infamous 6.2L squealing starts. There's bulletin for this as we all know. The the 6.2L can produce zero squeals or up 5 squeals. Lucky me, I got all 5 squeals. Squeal when stopping. Squeal at auto stop/start. Squeal when accelerating. Squeal at start up. Squeal when shifting. Yay! Nothing can be done.

1 month later (ISSUE 7): transmission rumble at 30-39 mph. Known issue. Dealer says transmission valve bodies are bad on 10 speeds, as long it's brought up by customers the dealer will replace the valve body. Don't complain, you get to see how long tranny will go without an issue when you're out of warranty. Glad they're looking out for customers. 6 week back order on valve bodies

While waiting 6 weeks for the valve body (ISSUE 8): There's been a rattle from the passenger side a-pillar that only occurs at 80mph or above. Dealer refuses to trouble shoot since the issue is only present above the speed limit. Service manager drives with me and verifies the issue. Still refuses address. GM engineer comes out. Hears the rattle on video but will not drive the vehicle over 70mph. I'm told that any issue in the vehicle (or any vehicle) that is present above the speed limit are not considered actual issues and the vehicles are performing normally. Lemon Law suit filed.

3 moths later: Dealer get 4th and final repair attempt. Again refused to attempt to fix the rattle.

Repurchase gets approved by GM.

2 weeks later: [While waiting for my scheduled vehicle surrender date (ISSUE 9 & 10)] Third row AC upper ceiling vents no longer working. Only way to get air to the 3rd row is by the lower vents. I'm sure this has something to do third row actuator again, but I don't really care anymore at this point. Additionally, the front drivers side suspension has started clunking and popping loudly when reversing out of a parking spot with the steering wheel at full lock. Nothing more I can do, but I'm sure this would have been another "that's perfectly normal" situation with the dealership.

On a side note, once the repurchase was approved, I did trouble shooting on the Tahoe. My wife drove and laid the passenger seat flat and stuck my head under the glove box. The rattle was coming from the lower end of the A-pillar. Used a rubber mallet to replicate tapping on the a pillar and discover a loose screws at the end of the running board. Removed the fender liner on the passenger front wheel and noticed that the bracket that holds the front side of the running board was complete unbolted from the factory.

So basically, when you hit 80 mph or above, and the grill louvers shit to increase aerodynamics, the air gets rerouted to the fender vents. The air going through the fender vents makes the fender liner vibrate. The fender liner vibration makes the loose screws rattle causing the rattle sound to travel up the A-pillar. Sucks dealer didn't try. I tightened the bolts and the rattle went completely away. The dealer could have easily done this, but they don't get paid to diagnose issues. And I'm sure they get paid nothing in wrench time to tighten a few bolts. Sucked. I'd of kept the truck if they'd fixed it.

I wonder if the UAW 4 day work week and 40% pay increase will make them actually build the vehicles correctly. Probably not.

Hard to believe how poorly built these things are. I know many of you have had no problems at all, but man...how unlucky am I that I found the one truck that had EVERY issue. Like I said my family loved the truck, so I'm wondering if it's worth taking the shot on a 2025 model. Maybe it'll be built better.

Attachments

• IMG20231002212139.jpg
    IMG20231002212139.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG20231002212133.jpg
    IMG20231002212133.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For issue 8 you should have said you were traveling in South Dakota or Wyoming where the speed limit is 80

Funny thing about this is that is specifically asked if I bought at 200 mph Corvette and the engine falls out at 90mph, would they not bother to diagnose it? They said we treat the Corvettes differently.

Better yet, the truck has Super Cruise which rides upto 85 mph. I asked why Super Cruise tops out at 85 if GM doesn't want us driving over 70? I got no answer from them.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better yet, the truck has Super Cruise which rides upto 85 mph. I asked why Super Cruise tops out at 85 if GM doesn't want us driving over 70? I got no answer from them.
I used to be a GM tech and a service advisor. I would NEVER ask a tech, nor would I as a tech, drive a customer vehicle at illegal speeds just to satisfy a customer complaint. It's their ass if they get stopped by a cop. Also, what happens if the tech totals your car doing 80MPH, is that fair to endanger their life and/or career? Do you really think a cop will just say 'it's ok for you to travel at illegal speeds because you're a dealer trying to duplicate a customer concern'? Not all states allow for speeds over 75 MPH.
I do agree with you that more checking of your vehicle should have been done, but your expectations are crazy expecting someone else to drive your 6000 pound at dangerous speeds.

This is just my opinion of course.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... more checking of your vehicle should have been done, but your expectations are crazy expecting someone else to drive your 6000lb truck at dangerous speeds.
Dangerous speeds in one state are, somehow, not as dangerous in another state.
Weird.

Then again, if the speed limit had not been so paternalistic, GM would not have bought it back, so, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Go buy two used Tahoes.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangerous speeds in one state are, somehow, not as dangerous in another state.
Weird.
Depends on the state. In some states, the road infrastructure is not set up for higher speeds, or are just downright bad, and traveling over 75MPH is not safe. Weird huh?

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
Depends on the state. In some states, the road infrastructure is not set up for higher speeds, or are just downright bad, and traveling over 75MPH is not safe. Weird huh?
80 is safe in some states due to the lack of cars on the road and low population. Having lived in CO for 8 years if you find someone going the speed limit or less is likely due to heavy traffic. Some will still go 80 plus in construction zones.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar