What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked a week in Ft McMurray Alberta one winter. The temp with the wind chill was -40°. We had to work outside in shifts of 10 minutes to get our work done.
sounds about like the freezer on the fishing processor, if you got sent to work in there you had a to wear a big suit and had a rotating time in and time out schedule
I think that thing was set for -40 if memory serves me right. the fish would feed off a conveyer that went in fresh on one end and come out hard as a bat on the other end, then you just pack them in a bag in a box and off they went to a pallet and from time to time another ship would show up and they would use a crane and transfer them over.
everything was done at sea from begining to end. Had a nice case of tendonitis from repeatedly grabbing fish 16 hours a day

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn storm came back with a vengeance last night, freezing rain hard and the wind blowing at about 50 with gusts higher. I knew power was going to go, I could see transformers blowing up as far as I could see from the second story. But luckily I’m on the same circuit as a care facility nearby which puts me on a priority for restoring power. I took a walk this afternoon and there were 5 out of state power crew trucks by that place. My power was restored right after that. But I’ve never seen so many trees down and I’ve seen this stuff for 64 years in this area. I was ready, went into camp mode and had a small heat source, cooking and lighting. What else does a guy need? ;)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn storm came back with a vengeance last night, freezing rain hard and the wind blowing at about 50 with gusts higher. I knew power was going to go, I could see transformers blowing up as far as I could see from the second story. But luckily I’m on the same circuit as a care facility nearby which puts me on a priority for restoring power. I took a walk this afternoon and there were 5 out of state power crew trucks by that place. My power was restored right after that. But I’ve never seen so many trees down and I’ve seen this stuff for 64 years in this area. I was ready, went into camp mode and had a small heat source, cooking and lighting. What else does a guy need? ;)
I uisually always have around 15 gallons of propane and the same in gas for the Generator, last thing I need is a freezer full of food going bad. Other than rain and some freezing last week it hasn't been bad here better than I expected. It's been hitting the higher altitudes.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere but meant to post here and in my thread:

The Kicker amp I bought in Florida is WAY too much power for that Alpine 10". Like, more than three times the RMS. Tahoe Twin gave me his old sealed dual 12 box he had in his Tahoe so I can finally use those two new Kicker 12s I bought last June. The amp is still almost twice the power these need, even in a sealed box. But that makes it about 2/3 less of a waste, right?

img_9714-jpg.jpg

This is temporary until I build the box I want, which will be angled to fit up against the seats, ported and downfire. I just need to look into some of the sciences of it, as I'm considering having the port fire downward as well, with a sloped floor to direct everything outward, like a horn.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere but meant to post here and in my thread:

The Kicker amp I bought in Florida is WAY too much power for that Alpine 10". Like, more than three times the RMS. Tahoe Twin gave me his old sealed dual 12 box he had in his Tahoe so I can finally use those two new Kicker 12s I bought last June. The amp is still almost twice the power these need, even in a sealed box. But that makes it about 2/3 less of a waste, right?

View attachment 419350

This is temporary until I build the box I want, which will be angled to fit up against the seats, ported and downfire. I just need to look into some of the sciences of it, as I'm considering having the port fire downward as well, with a sloped floor to direct everything outward, like a horn.
a quick easy mode to that box would be to add feet on each end then you could flip it down if you want downfiring

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a quick easy mode to that box would be to add feet on each end then you could flip it down if you want downfiring

Agreed. The side panels were added cuz he had it in his Envoy but needed the additional 1.5" of width to fit snug in the Tahoe. I could pull those off and cut out some that are longer then flip it. I doubt he'd care if I modded it. It was just a quick throw-in to have something. I really don't like exposed speakers so I might dig out some scraps and flip it.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tossing a question out to the group - Pretty sure I know the answer already, looking for a consensus. After we got 10 plus (missed it while in Florida) inches of snow and cold, I started my Tahoe via remote start at the bus terminal and when I got in, idiot lights for the Traction Control and Stability system in the dash. I drove it home and figured it was just due to the cold. Couple days later, started it back up and the lights were off and then last Friday, started up with the lights back on. I shut it off and started it back up although sluggishly - lights still on with surging as an new added bonus. Parked it and threw trickle charge on and left for Florida again...

Today, started it up after sitting on the charger for a week - still seems sluggish but that has always seemed that way, to me...However, no idiot lights. Battery been in there since I got so at least 3.5 years old. I did notice the amp meter in the dash is way past 14 and was too cold/too lazy to dig out the Tech2 scanner but my gut tells me I got a battery that is dying and probably undersized in CCAs (Think I saw something like 600 something on tag) to begin with. With that info, would y'all think battery as the first culprit?

ps - I know that seems like a long read, sorry!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tossing a question out to the group - Pretty sure I know the answer already, looking for a consensus. After we got 10 plus (missed it while in Florida) inches of snow and cold, I started my Tahoe via remote start at the bus terminal and when I got in, idiot lights for the Traction Control and Stability system in the dash. I drove it home and figured it was just due to the cold. Couple days later, started it back up and the lights were off and then last Friday, started up with the lights back on. I shut it off and started it back up although sluggishly - lights still on with surging as an new added bonus. Parked it and threw trickle charge on and left for Florida again...

Today, started it up after sitting on the charger for a week - still seems sluggish but that has always seemed that way, to me...However, no idiot lights. Battery been in there since I got so at least 3.5 years old. I did notice the amp meter in the dash is way past 14 and was too cold/too lazy to dig out the Tech2 scanner but my gut tells me I got a battery that is dying and probably undersized in CCAs (Think I saw something like 600 something on tag) to begin with. With that info, would y'all think battery as the first culprit?

ps - I know that seems like a long read, sorry!
I would let it sit overnight and check resting battery voltage in the morning at the battery terminals before 1st start.
I forget what the spec is but 12.4v I think is ok, any less than that may be questionable
and as for the rest ya low voltage causes all kinds of wierd things to happen

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't have a load tester handy, I've left the headlights on for say 10mins and then see how it cranks. 10mins should have no effect on a good battery but when they lose reserve, it will make a noticeable difference.

I've had worn out weak starters sound like a weak battery too.